Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I ran into a few error messages along the way, but I followed your instructions, Dapper. But I am currently listening to some YouTube on a CRUX machine! Thanks to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Talking

I ran into a few error messages along the way, but I followed your instructions, Dapper. But I am currently listening to some YouTube on a CRUX machine!
    Thanks to everybody who took the time to read the thread, and especially Dan and Mike!
    I would've probably just gave up on it if it weren't for you two!

Here's something for ya!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

SO it was just adding yourself to the correct group that did it? Gentoo has similar practices, I once forgot to add myself to the CDROM group, you can imagine my confusion when I couldn't get it to work.
    Good job on sticking with it and getting it to work.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Not only adding myself to the proper group, but also creating the plugdev group in the first place! Not only that, but what really confused me over the last couple of days was the fact that I had to install 'adduser' before I could employ it! Talk about messin' me up!
    But I got it going now. I'll keep the thread open for another day or two in case I run into any other issues though. Thanks again!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

That's great news! You configured your sound without a "gui" utility to help you do it! I know it was difficult because I had to go through the same process. But it taught me a great deal about Linux and forced me to work things out with the command line alone. I hope the experience taught you as much as it did me. Great going Jay! Glad you stuck with it and got it going!

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

You configured your sound without a "gui" utility to help you do it!
    To be honest, I didn't want a GUI tool. I wanna get this thing going with as little bloat as possible. I know there are some good graphical based management tools available, like the ones you get with KDE or GNOME, as well as some that are stand alone. But I would much rather learn how to drop to a terminal to get things going.
    Truth be told, I didn't even try to look around for any tools or apps that would 'do it for me'. So, yeah, I did learn quite a bit about Linux... and something tells me that I ain't done yet!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Question

Okay, I have a slight issue. Nothing to worry me that much, though. I have better sound now than I did with Fedora, but I have to run alsamixer and /usr/sbin/alsactl storeafter a reboot. How do I go about saving the settings so that they remain with me?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Do you have /etc/rc.d/alsa set to start at boot in /etc/rc.conf? If not just add "alsa" (without quotes) to the "SERVICES" line in /etc/rc.conf. Here's mine as a reference
    Code:
    #
    # /etc/rc.conf: system configuration
    #

FONT=default
    KEYMAP=us
    TIMEZONE=EDT
    HOSTNAME=dapperdan
    SYSLOG=sysklogd
    SERVICES=(dbus cups hplip alsa net crond sshd)

# End of file

That did it!
    I swear I'd be lost here without your help, Dan! I can't seem to stop thanking you for all the help!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    That did it!
    I swear I'd be lost here without your help, Dan! I can't seem to stop thanking you for all the help!
    It's only because I've gone down the road first and encountered all the monsters before... Most things are fairly easy to remember because at heart, CRUX is really a very simple distro. Just relaying to you what I've also run into, glad I could help! If you need anything else, just let me know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3