Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought this today. IBM Lenovo Thinkcentre Dual Core 2GB PC Tower Desktop - eBay (item 220314137580 end time Nov-27-08 13:18:42 PST) I am not the most computer savvy guy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] HeHaw! I got me a New/Old Used Computer!

I bought this today.
    IBM Lenovo Thinkcentre Dual Core 2GB PC Tower Desktop - eBay (item 220314137580 end time Nov-27-08 13:18:42 PST)

I am not the most computer savvy guy in this forum, so if I could of gotten a better puter for a better price, oh well, too bad. I got it.

I've been using a IBM M41 , 1.8 ghz single core, I bumped it up to 1 gig ram for approx. 80.00 a while back, and a 40 gig/200 gig IDE hardrives.

I am used to having a floppy IDE and all my DVDRW (1 is ROM/CDRW, the other is DVRW) .

Is is possible to install a IDE Floppy and DVDRW and 200 IDE Hardrive from the M41 to the M57. Or do I havta to Sata with everything. Like I said, I aint tech savvy as some others.

I'll probably go with the Ubuntu 8.04 Gnome install as that is what I am familiar with. Holy Cow, I got me a faster rig! banana010.gif
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Is is possible to install a IDE Floppy and DVDRW and 200 IDE Hardrive from the M41 to the M57. Or do I havta to Sata with everything.
    Not sure I understand what you are asking.

If you have any working IDE ports on the motherboard, then you can install some IDE hardware. You don't have to go all IDE, or all SATA.

Is that what you are asking?
    oz

I've been googling and answering questions on the forum Ozar. Yea, I was just wondering, because the Hardrive and cdrom on the M57 are Sata Drives. I didn't do all my home work yet on whats compatible because I was too jazzed about it.

I haven't recieved it yet to see if there are any Ide plugins on the motherboard for IDE drives. I was maybe hoping someone with one of these rigs would know off the top of their head. Like I said, I got excited.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I haven't recieved it yet to see if there are any Ide plugins on the motherboard for IDE drives. I was maybe hoping someone with one of these rigs would know off the top of their head. Like I said, I got excited.
    You should be able to google for the motherboard info and either see the specs are online, or download an HTML version of the mobo manual to see what it has.
    oz

Googled and found this while you were typing at IBM's site

4 Serial ATA connectors

That means I can install My old floppy and DVDRW and 200 gig IDE HD. I Think?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I'll probably need a bigger PSU though.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Serial ATA is SATA.

You can buy inexpensive IDE controller cards if you need them, though.
    oz

Okay, enough fun for today, I am gonna close this thread as solved. Thanks Ozar for the replies, appreciate it. I am like a kid with a New Toy. Happy Trails.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home