Find the answer to your Linux question:
ello im having a bit of a problem im planning on building a gaming computer and im looking around and planning on which parts to buy. the motherboard i really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

motherboard power connectors 24 pin or 20+4 pin???

ello im having a bit of a problem
    im planning on building a gaming computer and im looking around and planning on which parts to buy.
    the motherboard i really want takes a 24 pin power connector, but all the power supplies ive looked at that are cheap have a 20+4 pin connector.
    can a 20+4 pin power supply work with a motherboard that says 24 pin?
    if not can someone point me somewhere that has a LARGE selection of power supplies, (ive already checked newegg and am checking tigerdirect right now.)
    thanx

EDIT:
    ram question
    is the difference between a cat latency of 5 and a cat latency of 6 enough to really matter or worry about???
    thanx again
    Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds

Personal and politically centrist blog.--->
    http://www.deathnerd.com

Not sure about the RAM question, but the power connector shouldn't pose any type of problem.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Yep, the 20+4 connector is one which has a disconnectable block on the end so it also fits both 24 and 20 pin boards.

Memory latency? I suspect you're asking because you have some memory and you want to know if it'll work or if you have to buy some more. If it's got the same kind of connector (DDR2 or whatever) then go ahead and plug it in (matching pairs as necessary for your hardware). It'll either work at the slowest speed of the memory or not at all. Not at all is easy to spot.

Dont forget to try memtest86 if you've got any doubts about the reliability of your memory.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

thanx guys

Memory latency? I suspect you're asking because you have some memory and you want to know if it'll work or if you have to buy some more. If it's got the same kind of connector (DDR2 or whatever) then go ahead and plug it in (matching pairs as necessary for your hardware). It'll either work at the slowest speed of the memory or not at all. Not at all is easy to spot.
    im looking at two different 2gb ram sticks on newegg and the only difference is one has cat latency of 5 the other 6, and wikipedia said the lower cat latency the better. but is 1 latency that much of a difference?

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

im thinking i should buy the second one, they are both currently the same price but idk how long the first one will be on sale
    Linus Torvalds

I don't think a difference of only 1 would have an impact. But if they're the same price right now, why not get the one that actually has the lower?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

i had some changes to my plan im getting a 4gb stik instead.
    thanx for your help
    Linus Torvalds