Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
ouch! man, forget ATI - my card is going up on ebay ASAP just need to figure out the equivalent nvidia card....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ouch! man, forget ATI - my card is going up on ebay ASAP just need to figure out the equivalent nvidia card.

Unless you want nightmares, go with Nvidia. If, however, you like to make your brain stress out to the point of having an anuerism, go with ATI.

Quote Originally Posted by bionnaki
    ouch! man, forget ATI - my card is going up on ebay ASAP just need to figure out the equivalent nvidia card.
    According to Tom's Hardware, the Nvidia equivalent in price/features is the Geforce FX 5600 or the older Geforce 4 ti4600.
    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...416/index.html

I personally swear by the Geforce 4. It was a spectacular value for the power it offered at the time. You may want to consider the FX line though, since they're a little newer and support some newer 3D standards like OpenGL 1.4.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks man
    I'll check those out.

Just Joined!

Similar experience to TechieMoe

Hi!

I'm glad TechieMoe mentioned it. I had a similar experience, i.e. configuration hell + card melting, with my ATI Radeon 9700. (I also got my card from a friend at a cheap price, incidentally. Things that make you say Hmmmm.)

I've always had problems with ATIs on linux, but to be fair I've never had an NVIDIA or any other brand name. On Windows they were awesome, so I figured it was just the pain one had to suffer through to obtain decent video on a linux system.

But I need to buy a video card soon for another linux system and I'm thinking NVIDIA will be getting my money (unless ATI get their linux act together).

--martin bright

Hands down Nvidia. They are now really on the ball with Linux. In fact, they've made it so easy to install their 3D "drivers" it's almost no fun anymore!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

ive always been hooked on nvidia since when i looked around on some old games compatibility lists it never mentioned an nvidia card yet had plenty of ati cards that it said it was incompatible with. aso the graphics are usulay better if not the same and they are usualy the same price to an equivelant. so basicly you have al the same stuff as an ati card, exept you can actualy install it before it mesteriously gets snaped in half over your knee.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    on similar lines where can you find out which cards are supported
    is there somthing similer to linmodems?
    g

Just Joined!

Video card suggestion

If you want to change the Radeon 9600, you can try one of the FX 5600 and above series. A FX 5900 would be a good suggestion.

A cheaper alternative would be to get a Geforce Ti series video card. This card is good and as far as I have seen it gives decent performance for most of the high end games.

Depends on how much you would like to spend and what you need.

Take a look at NVIDIA's website for info on what you would like in your card:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/products.html

Hope that helps.

Do keep me posted.

To update this thread a bit, Nvidia has now released their mid-range and low-range card based on the new 6000 series chips. The Geforce 6600, 6600 GT, and 6600 Ultra are very nice cards, particularly for the price ($200 and below). They're now available in AGP as well as PCIexpress.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast