Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there guys, I have a Dell Inspiron that recently became available on the network and I'd love to use it for my work rig, but I require a dual-head ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

current PCI graphics card-does it exist?

Hi there guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron that recently became available on the network and I'd love to use it for my work rig, but I require a dual-head system and Dell(true to their form) didn't include a AGP or PCI-e slot on the board. The docs on the Dell site state that you are a-ok to install a PCI card, neglecting to mention that they fell out of fashion about 5-6 years ago.

I was going to ask if there's a linux friendly PCI card, but I don't want to restrict it any more than I have to. Is there a PCI card period that produced currently? All I can find is old BFG's and they don't support dual outs.

thanks,
    json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

Linux Guru

Hi there, and thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, those are all PCI-e cards. I need a vid card for a standard PCI slot, which would be akin to hen's teeth. Gamers more than likely won't be discussing it since the performance will take quite a hit, even if it does exist.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

Linux Guru
    Looks like PCI to me in the pics and the specs state:

Model
    Brand JATON
    Model VIDEO-228PCI-XS
    Form Factor Half Length & Half Height
    Interface
    Interface PCI
    Chipset
    Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
    GPU GeForce FX 5200

Model
    Brand DIAMOND
    Series BizView
    Model BV200
    Form Factor Low Profile
    Interface
    Interface PCI
    Chipset
    Chipset Manufacturer ATI
    GPU Radeon 9250
    Core clock 240MHz

Very sorry, admin. I was reading from the top. I found the post you were referencing. I can find plenty of 5000 era cards. I was really hoping for a current tech card. I'm aware that it might not exist, but I figured if I can get a usable computer out of it, I'm in for the win!

Linux Guru
    Those *are* the most current tech cards I think you will find. The PCI bus can't even handle the bandwidth that the current GPU's push. It would be pointless to put them into a PCI bus.

NewEgg > PCI Video Cards

Almost all 64/128MB - and nothing recent.

Thanks very much for your help admin. It got parted out