Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there everyone, I've been working on getting dualhead operational and during the process, I've reinstalled 4 operating systems a total of over 30 times in the last week. During ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I've made a disk unbootable.

Hi there everyone, I've been working on getting dualhead operational and during the process, I've reinstalled 4 operating systems a total of over 30 times in the last week. During an install of Windows to test the graphics card(I know dualhead works in XP), I think I may have chosen to eradicate the MBR of the disk. Windows would no longer install, nor any flavor of linux.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    The install process goes swimmingly in linux. On reboot, this error occurs.

GParted shows the following for the disk:

Partition /dev/sda1
    Filesystem ext3
    Label /boot
    Size 149.00 GiB
    Used 148.83 GiB
    Unused 176.65MiB
    Flags boot

Partition unallocated
    Filesystem unallocated
    Size 7.84 MiB
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

That sounds like a big boot partition ... thought they were normally about 100MB. Have you tried a much smaller boot partition?
    My list before seeing the boot partition info was ...
    1. check BIOS for boot from device enabled, antivirus set off, disk geometry if user set.
    2. manual install Grub to the MBR using a live CD.
    3. head over to OEM website for disk utils like low level format.

Ed: and to get Windows to install try using the SuperGrub CD to restore Windows boot code to the MBR.

Thanks for the reply, Jonathan,

I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a screw-up to the boot potion of the disk, hence it's ridiculous size. I'm wondering how I would go about recreating the disk partitions correctly in GParted? Do I simply create, two partitions, flag one as bootable and I'm off and running?

All attempts to repair fail in SuperGrub. So far, I've got a high priced brick on my hands.

thanks,
    json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'd probably dd the mbr and start creating the partitions the way you want again ... example code here

Ed: that way the code and partition table info will be wiped ... which I think is what you are after.