Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am looking for a cheap webcam for use with Skype. Do you have any recommendations? Of course it has to be compatible with Linux. Links to sites that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Webcam recommendations?

Hey,

I am looking for a cheap webcam for use with Skype. Do you have any recommendations? Of course it has to be compatible with Linux. Links to sites that list recent webcams that are compatible are also welcome.

Thanks!
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Ok, I'll just post my own results on the topic.

http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html has a a list of webcams that work at varying levels with the gspca driver for Linux.

Webcams is a list maintained by Creative which indicates how well their webcams do with open source drivers.

Logitech webcams — QuickCam Team is a list maintained by Logitech that says if they work with Linux.
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Just Joined!
    I have purchased some refurbished brand name webcams that sold new for 50 to 100 dollars for under twenty dollars at frys. They are usually in the plain wrapped boxes. They were plug in play for linux. Some of the emprex stuff seems to be flaky under linux.
    Last edited by peonuser; 12-20-2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling errors?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I got an Logitech QuickCam Messenger for 20 euros here in Amsterdam.

Code:
    daan@schmauck:~$ lsusb | grep Cam
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:08da Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messanger
    Note the misspelling.

I got it to work using fr/Webcam/spca5xx - Debian Wiki This guide speaks of spca5xx, I replaced that with gspca on every occurance.