Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I (think I) am getting the Beagle Board for Christmas!! (yay!) So, I want a good open-sourced 802.11n USB adapter to go with it. I have a Linksys WUSB300N, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

wireless suggestions

Hi! I (think I) am getting the Beagle Board for Christmas!! (yay!)
    So, I want a good open-sourced 802.11n USB adapter to go with it. I have a Linksys WUSB300N, but that's not got an open source driver. Granted, I don't know enough to do everything I want with it, but ideally I will be making (an) application([XOR]s) that make specific calls to the hardware.
    Speed and smallness are good.

Just Joined!
    Those beagle boards look like they could be an excellent basis for a wireless thin client and other automation projects. You can buy a used 64 bit laptop for $150 dollars.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by peonuser View Post
    Those beagle boards look like they could be an excellent basis for a wireless thin client and other automation projects. You can buy a used 64 bit laptop for $150 dollars.
    Not around here....
    But no, I don't want to make a laptop out of it. I have a large array of things I want to do with it (text editing, media, web-browsing, etc), but the most important part is that it be ubber-portable. I am getting a (ableit slightly out of date) laptop soon (I'd say for Christmas, but actually out of luck). With a laptop I can make it do plenty, probably more easily than the Beagle shall be used for, but it won't fit comfortably in palm of my hand and run for hours and hours when I'm just listening to music etc.
    In short, I'm sure that I want the Beagle for this job. The only thing I'd consider as a possible alternative would be a netbook, and even then would have to think hard about it (well, I may willingly trade for a 901eee Linux version... but I don't know anyone willing to sell that for $150)
    Think custom iPhone or something to that effect.
    Last edited by ryokimball; 12-20-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: reference

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    for just streaming music and a lite web server for something small, I like the nslu2. add debian on a thumb drive and viola instant portable media server. the nslu2 will easily run on batteries and or a solar panel. My laptop is one of the first 64 bits. I would not min having a eee for penetration testing. rumor his it that the eee will go down to at least $200 after the first of the year. There is beginning to be more competition, so I expect the prices of netbooks to be more in line with what they are worth. I remember when calculators sold for a hundred bucks that they give away now. I I have an old gateway laptop that is no bigger than a nettop that I still use.