Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by blueagle78 Out of nVidia and ATi who's got better support for Linux? I'm putting together my spec and I want to get a reasonable card but want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagle78 View Post
    Out of nVidia and ATi who's got better support for Linux? I'm putting together my spec and I want to get a reasonable card but want one which would support Linux better.
    In my personal experience, Nvidia. However, after a disastrous incident with an ATI card about 5 years ago I stopped buying them, so they may have improved since then.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Norotso View Post
    Here is my new config:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83
    Gigabyte MB EP45-UD3P
    OCZ 8GB 1066 RAM
    500GB Seagate 7200
    1TB Seagate 7200
    LG 6X Blu-Ray burner
    600Watt PSU with 42amp single lane
    I added a Gigabyte 9500GT NVIDIA based card and works fine on Ubuntu 8.10

Ok, I've selected an nVidia chip card, GeForce 8400GS, 512MB Ram.
    Last thing I still can't decide and its case. I like the Antec P180 which was suggested previously but its quite expensive, I'm looking for something for about 50 and if it comes with the CPU then maybe 70/80.
    Any recommendations?

I haven't got a specific brand or model to recommend, but the two things I'd be looking for are
    • A metal case...seriously helps system cooling
    • Some kind of sound deadening
    Also get as big a case as you can stand. The bigger they are the easier to work with and also you get a better airflow. The P180 I have at home is cold to the touch and my CPU is running at 32 degrees celsius at the moment. Even the exhaust air is cold.

So you get to change components when necessary with ease and also have a nice cool system

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I haven't got a specific brand or model to recommend, but the two things I'd be looking for are
    • A metal case...seriously helps system cooling
    • Some kind of sound deadening
    Also get as big a case as you can stand. The bigger they are the easier to work with and also you get a better airflow. The P180 I have at home is cold to the touch and my CPU is running at 32 degrees celsius at the moment. Even the exhaust air is cold.

So you get to change components when necessary with ease and also have a nice cool system
    The systems I've built in the past also support these suggestions. If you're going to get a big case though, I'd personally go with aluminum over steel... unless you're never going to have to move the thing.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Look at Cool Master, I have a 690 and love the bonus features.
    Here's the Europe link:

Cooler Master - Ultimate provider of Computer Chassis | Cooler | Power Supply

Thanks for your quick responses. Space isn't an issue for me (at least not for now). I've got a whole room to myself and the part where the box sits is massive.
    Is it best to get the PSU seperately or buying it as a bundle would be better?
    I've seen couple of cooler master cases which are within my budget and they look good too. But their PSU sits at the bottom and I'm worried about the PSU cables not long enough to reach the motherboard.
    I'm going for Gigabyte MB EP45-UD3P

Thanks for your quick responses. Space isn't an issue for me (at least not for now). I've got a whole room to myself and the part where the box sits is massive.
    Is it best to get the PSU separately or buying it as a bundle would be better?
    I've seen couple of cooler master cases which are within my budget and they look good too. But their PSU sits at the bottom and I'm worried about the PSU cables not long enough to reach the motherboard.
    Originally Posted by Norotso
    Here is my new config:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83
    Gigabyte MB EP45-UD3P
    OCZ 8GB 1066 RAM
    500GB Seagate 7200
    1TB Seagate 7200
    LG 6X Blu-Ray burner
    600Watt PSU with 42amp single lane

I'm running the same board but bought my PS separately as most of the CM don't come with PS. I would think that now a days any good brand name PS will work fine.

Is it best to get the PSU seperately or buying it as a bundle would be better?
    I had to get a new PSU when I was building anyway, so I chose one with a longer cable. I don't think in my case a regular PSU would have worked.

I know this is a wide and baseless generalisation, but PSUs that come with cases are generally lower rated in terms of wattage. While the higher rated PSUs are really only for overhead, I certainly would rather an underused 600W+ PSU than a 350W PSU that came with the case, but was just getting by with the hardware I'm running. Though I will confess, the LED readout on my PSU rarely goes above 140W and is usually more like 90-100W. So I guess buying a 700W PSU might have been overkill haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I had to get a new PSU when I was building anyway, so I chose one with a longer cable. I don't think in my case a regular PSU would have worked.

I know this is a wide and baseless generalisation, but PSUs that come with cases are generally lower rated in terms of wattage. While the higher rated PSUs are really only for overhead, I certainly would rather an underused 600W+ PSU than a 350W PSU that came with the case, but was just getting by with the hardware I'm running. Though I will confess, the LED readout on my PSU rarely goes above 140W and is usually more like 90-100W. So I guess buying a 700W PSU might have been overkill haha.
    I personally never keep a PSU that comes with a case unless it's a nice case. Antec cases sometimes ship with Antec PSUs, for instance. I've had very good luck with Antec PSUs and cases.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast