Find the answer to your Linux question:
For the past week my machine, which has run stably for ~2 years now, has been experiencing random lockups. The first few times it happened, it was in the middle ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Random crashes -- where to look for clues?

For the past week my machine, which has run stably for ~2 years now, has been experiencing random lockups.

The first few times it happened, it was in the middle of a large backup involving gzipping and tarring of ~100 GB. I finally got the backups completed using rsync (to save me from having to restart the backup each time), but the crashes now seem to come when the machine is under no load at all. Once on boot, once in the middle of the night, etc.

One of the times it happened I was able to restart using the SysReq-R-I-E-S-U-B trick, but most of the time it requires a hard restart.

I've trawled the logs and found nothing, and I've run fsck on all discs and found nothing.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could investigate, or anywhere else I could look for clues?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

ttb
    Just Joined!
    Hi.

Do you think your RAM is faulty? Try running memtest86. This comes with knoppix, it may be available as a stand-alone program. Try google.

Otherwise, carefully examine your hardware. Look for signs of damage ie scorch marks on motherboard, signs of arcing, anything that looks abnormal. Check smell too! Check all your connectors are plugged in ok. Sometimes, taking every connector off and putting it back in will improve things.

Has your system overheated? If your system doesn't auto shut down for high temps, this can cause damage.

HTH

Tim