Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have about reached the point of giving up the notion of ever being able to afford a custom built new desktop computer. I am presently using a HP pavilion ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Desktop upgrading suggestions needed, please!

I have about reached the point of giving up the notion of ever being able to afford a custom built new desktop computer. I am presently using a HP pavilion a532x with a 2800AMD Athlon xp processor, a 512MB memory, and a 160GB hard drive. which is near being full.

I am seeking information about what type of equipment I could purchase to upgrade this flimsy machine, please! Thank You!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

HIya cousinlucky,
    The cheapest, easiest thing you could do is add more RAM, which is super cheap right now and very easy to install. And with a new hard drive, you should be Golden.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi Lucky!

Considering that I know you don't do any gaming , and probably not a lot of CPU intensive activities like compiling, you could probably get by pretty well with a second hard drive and perhaps another 512 of RAM. I saw on Newegg the you can get another 160 Gig drive for around $40 or so, and the RAM for between $10 and $25.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thumbs up

I agree with more ram and a second hard drive. My 8 year old system died and I just got a second hand Gateway 508GE Windows XP system. I got it cheap, I think the previous owner wanted to go to Vista. Similar to yours, it has a 3.2 GHz processor, 200GB drive and 512 MB RAM. I've added 1 GB in RAM, and it is fast with Fedora 9. (Windows XP didn't last long )As soon as I get time to fiddle with that SATA to IDE adapter, I'll add the 120GB drive from the old system.

I copied my wife's /home files to it so she can use it too.

That's already a nice machine. If you must add to it, I agree with the suggestions of RAM and hard drive. That should not cost too much, and is well worth it in my opinion.

You could consider a new monitor though, I don't know about your current one but if you must spend money on your machine maybe nice speakers too? A better mouse (that's on top of my list right now), or of course any of these
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    You might also look to see if there are any BIOS upgrades available for your motherboard, because upgrading the BIOS sometimes allows hardware upgrades that aren't compatible/possible with the currently installed BIOS.

Check computer maker's website for details.
    oz

I am thinking about a new motherboard and hard drive that will fit into my present machine. There are a couple of places on Staten Island where I could get the work done but I need input on the products that will fit right into this HP machine.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

oz
    forum.guy
    Quite often you'll find that computers by HP, Dell, and many others use some proprietary hardware, especially when it comes to things like motherboards, so not sure that you can easily upgrade your motherboard.
    oz

That's discouraging to know Ozar. I am certainly not endeared to HP computers at all.

Who makes the best motherboards?
    Who makes the best internal hard drives?
    Who makes the best processors?

I lloked up BIOS and just got more confused. This reminds me of Sears products where every screw thread used is not a standard anywhere else. My hair is beginning to hurt from frustration!!
    Linux user # 414321

I'm partial to IBM myself Cousin Lucky. I picked up a dual core, sata drive, IBM M57 used for about 169.00 on Ebay a while back. I know you said you're not partial to Hewlit Packard, But I saw a complete system in WQalmart yesterday with Moniter and Vista and a ton of Features for 398.00.

I'm partial to Intel based Motherboards, and intel processors. AMD 's are nice also.

Seagate Hardrives, 10,000 rpm versions are pretty nice and reliable.

I like the Asus motherboards that come with Linux installed in flash memory on the board also.

Splashtop Videos - Splashtop Instant-On Desktop from DeviceVM
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast