Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, has anyone else out there tried to setup printing in CUPS to a Kyocera KM-2530 (or any other KM printer/copier)? More specifically, anyone tried to use Virtual Mailboxes? Before ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question [SOLVED] Kyocera KM-2530 (or similar) Virtual Mailbox configuration in PPD file

Well, has anyone else out there tried to setup printing in CUPS to a Kyocera KM-2530 (or any other KM printer/copier)? More specifically, anyone tried to use Virtual Mailboxes?

Before anyone flames me... I know that this is a long shot, and I will try to get the manufacturer to help, but we all know how much joy I'll probably get. LOL

So, I have the manufacturer supplied PPD file (which matches exactly the PPD from linuxprinting.org) which "provides" Virtual Mailbox support up to 10 boxes. Of course, I need to support up to 100... so there will be lots of cut and paste work if I get things going at all.

Basically, you setup a VM user, say #4, and then print a test page. It goes through fine, but the KM2530 then complains: "Incorrect Department Code" and the iface hangs. There is no such setting in the PPD. The closest thing is a "Management Code" setting, whcih has ranges from 0001 to 0030, then 000001 to 000030. But... in the main panel setup at the machine itself, no mention is made of such a code. Doh!
    Last edited by sarlacii; 01-09-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Solved (in a manner of speaking).
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

Okay, solved... in a manner of speaking. Set "Job Settings" in config to "Job Storage" instead of "Virtual Mailbox #4", and left "Management Code" as "Off". This requires that there is a HDD, but then the ability to use virtual mailboxes does too, so not a problem. The print job is sent to the printer HDD direct, and can then be printed from the "Job Storage" option on the copier's touch screen. You select your Linux user name and then punch in your code to print. Deleting the job is manual.

Will look into some of the other options, such as "Temporary Harddrive" etc. but for now am happy... Linux users can print.