Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to replace the keyboard on a Sony VGN FE890. Can someone tell me the quickest and safest way to do it?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Sony Keyboard

I need to replace the keyboard on a Sony VGN FE890. Can someone tell me the quickest and safest way to do it?

oz
    forum.guy
    You can purchase a replacement keyboard for around $75 to $100 online, so you'll need to do some searching to find the best price and vendor.

While in search mode, look around online for the "Sony VGN FE890 Service Manual" (not the User Guide) because it should give steps to remove and replace the keyboard. If you can't find one, you might be able to use the service manual from another model that closely matches your own.

Do let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You can purchase a replacement keyboard for around $75 to $100 online, so you'll need to do some searching to find the best price and vendor.

While in search mode, look around online for the "Sony VGN FE890 Service Manual" (not the User Guide) because it should give steps to remove and replace the keyboard. If you can't find one, you might be able to use the service manual from another model that closely matches your own.

Do let us know how it goes.
    Thanks! I found a manual with pictures and downloaded it. Now I have to wait for the security Tri-wing screwdriver set that is required for the job. I ordered it and will let you know how easy or hard it was to do. That way, someone else may benefit from it.
    ces1939

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cs_1939 View Post
    Thanks! I found a manual with pictures and downloaded it. Now I have to wait for the security Tri-wing screwdriver set that is required for the job. I ordered it and will let you know how easy or hard it was to do. That way, someone else may benefit from it.
    ces1939
    I too need a service manual and/or pictures for the FE890 so I can replace the palmrest/bezel/touch pad, which are all seriously worn. I have the replacement parts, but it will require removal of the keyboard as well as the components I mentioned. Could you send me the manual and/or pictures that you found? Also, I don't see any special screws on the underside of the laptop so I wasn't expecting to need anything other than a properly sized screwdriver set. What's this about a tri-wing security screwdriver that's needed? If it is required, I need to know where to obtain one of those too.

You can contact me directly at edenney02@aol.com. Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by edenney View Post
    I too need a service manual and/or pictures for the FE890 so I can replace the palmrest/bezel/touch pad, which are all seriously worn. I have the replacement parts, but it will require removal of the keyboard as well as the components I mentioned. Could you send me the manual and/or pictures that you found? Also, I don't see any special screws on the underside of the laptop so I wasn't expecting to need anything other than a properly sized screwdriver set. What's this about a tri-wing security screwdriver that's needed? If it is required, I need to know where to obtain one of those too.

You can contact me directly at edenney02@aol.com. Thanks in advance!
    I tried to post a reply, but could not get the attachment uploaded. So I have emailed the file to edenney02@aol.com.

If you can, and wish to, post it for others who might have a similar problem to view.

The Tri-wing screwdriver I got for the repair came in a set I purchased from eBay dealer.

The smallest was too big, and I actually was able to use a Philips head from my eyeglass set.

Hope this helps! If I can be of more help, feel free to email me at ces1939@myfastmail.com.

cs_1939

Just Joined!

Help!

Hi
    Where did you find the Service Manual for an VGN-FE890?
    I have to replace my keyboard, and even though I've been told its pretty easy, I've never done anything like this!!
    Any HELP will be appreciated!!!
    Thanks!!
    Nicci

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Do a Google search for Sony VGN-FE890 Service Manual. Be sure to get the Service Manual, not the User Guide. You might also need the special screwdriver or some other special tool as indicated by cs_1939, above.

Good luck with your repair project!
    oz

Just Joined!

Keyboard link

Try this link. It has several manuals for Sony laptops.
    Laptop Repair Help Service manuals for Sony Vaio laptops and notebooks
    cs_1939