Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there anything out there that I can make or purchase that will convert a VGA connection (from my graphics card/motherboard) to a coaxial for a TV? I found some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

VGA to Coaxial???!!!

Is there anything out there that I can make or purchase that will convert a VGA connection (from my graphics card/motherboard) to a coaxial for a TV?

I found some things that seem to plug into the graphics card and turn it into a signal that your TV can pick up but they cost like $80-$90. I might as well just get a new flat screen for a hundred more to use as a monitor.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

I don't think that's possible without some kind of converter hardware. Some cards support S-Video but I've found it to be absolutely awful. If it's on the cards I would definitely go for a flat screen, it's the only satisfactory computer to TV connection I've ever had.

Found this - VGA to TV converter page
    Loy.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Coax is terrible for VGA.... I would have thought VGA to SCART is better, but it's still not very good, only 400 lines or so, use DVI to HDMI if you have a choice.

Just Joined!

VGA to Coaxial adapter--update

This message is a correction to my post on a closed forum:
    linuxforums site /hardware-peripherals/138388-vga-coaxial.html

It is possible to convert VGA to Coaxial for display on a TV. For example, you might need to display a Powerpoint presentation for a weekend conference at a location that has an older TV with only a coax connection. Using the directions below, you can display your laptop screen on a standard television. The quality of computer display on a TV is OK for movies or the large text of a Powerpoint presentation, but don't expect to read small computer screen text on a TV. Displaying your computer screen on a TV is much cheaper than buying a LCD projector. In addition, LCD projectors have a shorter life span than most TVs. (Trust me, in the last month, I have sent off 7 LCD projectors for repairs. I work in the technology department of a public school system. When projectors are sent off for repairs, teachers go back to the reliability of displaying Powerpoint and ActivInspire files on TVs.)

Three items are required to convert VGA to Coax:

1) VGA to RCA adapter
    Assuming that you have a laptop with a VGA port, connect the supplied VGA cord to the VideoSecu adapter on one end and to the laptop's VGA port on the other end.

These VGA adapters are usually $30 to $50 dollars, and they are available from several companies online. I have used the VideoSecu adapter with great success. Search "VideoSecu VGA to RCA" on Amazon.com. The item on Amazon has this title as of February 2011: VideoSecu VGA2TV PC Laptop Mac Computer to TV Presentation Converter VGA to RCA /VGA to Video S-Video 1L7

(Sorry. The Linuxforums.org site won't allow me to post a direct link to Amazon since I haven't posted 15 or more times on this site.)

2) VCR with RCA video inputs
    The VCR will act as the RF Modulator. Connect the yellow RCA video cord to the VideoSecu adapter and to the RCA Video Input on the VCR. (If you don't have a VCR, a separate RF Modulator can be purchased for around $30 at Radio Shack.)

3) Coax cord
    Connect the coax cord to the "Output to TV" coax jack on the back of the VCR and to the coax jack on the TV.

You will need to make sure your TV and VCR are on the correct channel for input (usually 3 or 4). You might have to hit the TV/Video and/or Input Select buttons on your VCR's remote. Remember that this setup does not include audio. The VGA adapter converts only the video signal. If you need sound from your laptop, remember external speakers.

Becky

Moderated: Hello and welcome to the forums! This note is to let you know that your prior post has been replaced with this corrected version. We generally close older threads that are reactivated, hence the lock on the thread.
    Last edited by oz; 03-01-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: added note about prior post removal/replacement