hi,

i'm just looking into some products online that i could buy so i could have a USB ad-hoc PC-to-PC connection. coz i have this really old headless linux file server at home and every once in a while i'd try tinkering with it -- DHCP in particular, through SSH, which causes it to lock its ethernet out. and when this happens the only option to fix it again is to open up the damn thing and retrieve the hard disk then plug it to my desktop in my room downstairs. now, as you can all imagine, it's a bit of a pain to keep doing that everyone ever so often. so i figure if i could just plug in some USB transfer cable from this file server to the public-use (windows xp) PC beside it, it would make my life a lot easier. of course, i don't know if the usb cables i have my eyes on
(USB PC to PC Direct Link Data Network Transfer Cable - eBay (item 170293183851 end time Feb-08-09 13:02:07 PST),
USB PC to PC Direct Link Data Network Transfer Cable - eBay (item 400023339983 end time Feb-08-09 21:45:16 PST),
USB PC to PC Direct Link Data Network Transfer Cable - eBay (item 160309415386 end time Jan-14-09 09:16:35 PST))
so, that's my predicament. can i get these to work on my linux file server?