Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I tried searching for this first, several times, but the window just goes blank after clicking search, so I apologise if a similar thread exists; I haven't been able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Booting linux from a USB memory stick

Hi,

I tried searching for this first, several times, but the window just goes blank after clicking search, so I apologise if a similar thread exists; I haven't been able to search for it.

My question is do USB sticks that are used to boot linux from need a particular filesystem, or any other specific requirements, to make them bootable? Or can the BIOS read any/most?

I ask because my BIOS can boot from USB-FDD, USB-ZIP or USB-CDROM. Although I understand that these aren't for USB flash memory, is there any way to make them be picked up by the BIOS? Or could you give me any other interesting info?

I only ask cos I'm going to keep Puppy linux on one, incase I need it for whatever reason.

Thanks very much!
    Last edited by lemons; 02-02-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added icon

If you have a floppy drive also on your computer. Puppy linux has the capabilty of making a Wake Pup floppy disc that will find Puppy on your USB drive and boot it up for you.

unetbootin.com
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Ah yes I did read that, but do you know of any other methods or things I could do?

Cheers

Not with the bios limitations you have provided. Maybe somebody else has more knowledge of doing this than I.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

AFAIK you can use USB-ZIP, but you have to set your BIOS to enable USB-keyboard and mouse as well.
    Your stick should be formatted as FAT16 before you put your Puppy on it.
    I read this info somewhere, but did not try it myself. However it could be worth trying in your case.
    Good luck with it.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll give it a go