Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5 I have a Sansa clip and, unfortunately, the first time I used it, it was on a Windows machine. That means that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Sansa Clip and MTP/MSC configurations

I am using Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5
    I have a Sansa clip and, unfortunately, the first time I used it, it was on a Windows machine. That means that the files were added in MTP mode, and are not visible in MSC mode (which is the automatic configuration when using Linux).
    I found this post on the Sansa forum that explains how to use it in MTP mode, but the instructions are for Kubuntu.
    I am a newbie, and am having difficult translating these instructions to Mandriva, and to the Clip. (The above-mentioned post is for the Sansa View, but should work with the Clip too).
    I have libmtp 2.5 already installed, I just need to know what and how to configure.
    Thanks.
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

This is from the howto posted above, after you make these changes and reboot, I think the device will be working in MTP mode.
    I just deleted all the data that came preinstalled on mine (Sansa Fuze) and I'll just use the MSC mode. Everything works like a charm, including Amarok.

4) compile as usual:
    ./configure
    make (if it gives errors, try 'sudo make')
    sudo make install

5) install mtp-tools: sudo aptitude install mtp-tools

6) edit, with your favorite text editor, the file /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules
    and add the following lines to it:

# SanDisk Sansa View
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="0781", ATTRS{idProduct}=="74b0", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"

7) open a terminal and give the command: sudo ldconfig

8 ) save and restart your PC

9) once linux has loaded again, plug your Sansa View to an USB port and then open a terminal and try: mtp-detect
    It should now give a looooong output, which means everyhting was installed correctly.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.