Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it s good idea to use a 42 inch LCD(HD) TV like this or this as a replacement for LCD monitors ? One of my colleagues told me that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using HDTV as monitor

Is it s good idea to use a 42 inch LCD(HD) TV like this or this as a replacement for LCD monitors ?

One of my colleagues told me that we should buy LCD monitor instead of LCD TV because monitors are designed with one thing in mind: close-contact to eyes while LCD TVs are not, so they are bad for eyes. What you people say ?

2nd, these 42 inches HD TVs offer 1080p of video with contrast ratios like 50000:1 (not available with LCD monitors at all) though they are 6-8 times more expansive than a typical 22 inches LCD monitor. I am not building a Linux box with HDTV, I don't have that amount of money but I was just intrigued by the idea so I am very much curious on this.

HDTVs tend to have very strange default resolutions compared to a computer monitor, due to the fact that they're designed for television broadcasts. As you said already, they're also quite a bit more expensive than a monitor designed for a computer. In short, I don't see the benefit to using an HDTV as a monitor for everyday tasks.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants