Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im hoping someone can help me! Ive just installed SuSE 9.1 Professional on ma dual boot machine. I have 2 cards, one is ethernet (which SuSE is always trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Belkin F5D7000 Wireless PCI Card for SuSE 9.1 Pr0

Im hoping someone can help me! Ive just installed SuSE 9.1 Professional on ma dual boot machine.

I have 2 cards, one is ethernet (which SuSE is always trying to configure) and my Belkin F5D7000 Wireless Internet PCI Card. I have been unable to configure it as such. When i tried configuring on the YAST installation, it just came up with something like "Belkin Interface not found" (where Belkin was my name of the connection).

Im not running an ad-hoc system as its an infrastructure, where my IP is manually entered with a router. How can i get it to work?! (PS im a bit of a n00bin @ linux, i broke it 3 times in a weekend once, so id be grateful if someone could help me before i destroy it again) heh.

thanks

--Christopher Guyatt

Just Joined!
    I'd like to bump this topic if I may - I'm thinking about getting one of those exact same cards myself, only installing it on 9.1 Personal.

I'd like to be as prepared as possible for any outcome.

It's a 802.11g PCI card with a Broadcom chipset, if anybody's interested.

[edit]
    Heh, I've done some further research, and it looks like Broadcom are as hideously unco-operative as you could possibly imagine.
    Not only do they not release Linux drivers, they don't even release the information needed for other people to make their own Linux drivers...

So the only option appears to be some sort of wrapper. The two main candidates are described here:
    www.gidforums.com/t-4390.html

If you want native 802.11g support, it looks like you're best off buying a new card with the Atheros chipset and using the madwifi drivers instead.

[another edit]
    THIS looks like a good bet, if you live in the UK.
    There's a list of madwifi supported cards here: www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/madwifi-hw.htm

Just Joined!
    Hey I am in the same boat as you guys are, any success with the Belkin Wireless G F5D7000? There are Broadcom drivers out there for linux, have you checked their website www.broadcom.com cause they do have them available. Im just not really sure if my Belkin G actually has a Broadcom chipset, maybe I should just pull it and take a look for myself instead of relying on internet opinions.

Unfortunately belkin attached a huge heatsink over the wireless PCI board, so I can't even see the chipset. All I see is a huge "G" with signal strength symbols imerging from it. Anybody else with a card like this?

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure what you've got, but typing 'lspci' should show it right up.

Mine has a big covered bit, but on part of the board that isn't underneath that, theres a square chip that says 'Brodcom' on, and gives its number.

Are you sure you're looking at the right bit?