Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I need a sound card suitable for gaming, not too expensive and, off course, with a good Linux support. I seen a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer at a good ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a good & inexpensive sound card

Hi All,

I need a sound card suitable for gaming, not too expensive and, off course, with a good Linux support. I seen a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer at a good price, but I'm not sure if if I should use current drivers (are they still beta or what?). If anyone has good experience with this card I'll be glad to know, or if You can recommend some other product this will be nice too.

TIA

I can't give you a suggestion but I CAN say don't go with creative. Creative spent an absurd amount of money developing the Vista drivers so they have abandoned the Linux beta driver completely, no support at all, no future development.

Alsa has started work on it but that was about 6 months ago and still says the same thing "in development". OSS has a driver release but they have also abandoned future releases
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"