Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone recommend a seriously cheap portable computer that runs Linux? That is, <120.... For the architecture, I don't really care, as long as it runs Linux. (ie doesn't necessarily ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

REALLY cheap portable computer

Can anyone recommend a seriously cheap portable computer that runs Linux? That is, <120....
    For the architecture, I don't really care, as long as it runs Linux. (ie doesn't necessarily have to be x86)

The only requirement is Wifi and a screen (preferably 7" or above, with a touchscreen if there is one)

Sounds like a tall order, but I think it can be done.

Anyone heard of anything suitable?

Netbook maybe.
    The original Asus EEEpc 700 runs on Xandros, has Wifi built in.
    512 MB Ram and 4 GB SSD. Needs an external CD-drive however in case you want to install something different.
    Prices are very low since they introduced the newer models.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux

This is Linux compatible. You have to install it. Touchscreen Hardware. Cheap as Hell. Indestructable. Wireless = $10 PCMCIA Cardbus. I own 2 of these beasts.
    X/K/Ubuntu, Zenwalk,Puppy,AntiX, you name it, if it will run on 256 mb of ram, it'll run it and can be bumped up to 512 mb ram. Also know a couple guys , one in England and one in Oz that run em and are happy with them.

I like em. Amrel, Computers Networking, Business Industrial items on eBay.com
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Eek. No Eee PC has gone under that pice...

Plus I'm not sure I trust ebay / can afford shipping and a psu while still having value.
    Are there any new, or newer versions from the UK?

Cheers
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    This is Linux compatible. You have to install it. Touchscreen Hardware. Cheap as Hell. Indestructable. Wireless = $10 PCMCIA Cardbus. I own 2 of these beasts.
    X/K/Ubuntu, Zenwalk,Puppy,AntiX, you name it, if it will run on 256 mb of ram, it'll run it and can be bumped up to 512 mb ram. Also know a couple guys , one in England and one in Oz that run em and are happy with them.

I like em. Amrel, Computers Networking, Business Industrial items on eBay.com
    Man they are badass! I am really tempted to get one, even though I can't think of a single reason for having one. If it was even possible to swap the board out as you would with a desktop I'd buy it for the enclosure alone!

I see in some of the shots they're running Knoppix with KDE too

I don't know about motherboards , but I do know you can use this cable connector to make any used power adapter with the right voltage work with these beasts.36-inch Output Cable, Special Deutsch MMP16C connector
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home