Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have a packard bell(old) lol, anyways here are some specs: harddrive space: 10gb roughly(can add other bigger harddrives and ditch old1 also) ram: 12mb(says 13 sometimes tho, dont ask ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux distributions for old packard bell

i have a packard bell(old) lol, anyways here are some specs:
    harddrive space: 10gb roughly(can add other bigger harddrives and ditch old1 also)
    ram: 12mb(says 13 sometimes tho, dont ask me, i have 3sticks with 4mb each so yea, if i wanted i could get 8mb ram sticks off ebay cheap, but i rather keep it as is in ram)
    cpu: pentium 75-100(cant remember exactly if it was 75-100 but the speed is correct) 150 MHZ
    bios: (loving the update i did ) amibios 1.0.0.12.DN0R (if theres and update let me know ill be glad to update it : ))
    so yea it needs a lite linux and im no good at stripping down or making my own so yea but im very experienced with computers so yea its not a big deal to upgrade bios, partition etc.
    but im looking for a linux small and fast, maybe ftp server(i can get and install if i need to) browser, email maybe, uhhhh irc for support if possible/available, but i can get and install software/firmware, juss need a basic linux, i had puppylinux on it at one time, but then i stopped messin with it and one day i grabbed a ram stick and tried to fix an older pc, or something maybe even the harddrive who knows with me, but anyways long story short i need a small linux, rather not puppy or dsl, tired of how they look and im not a big fan of dsl, and also puppy is ok, but i forgot wut version i had and how i got it on there lol so yea, any recommendations/bios updates etc are welcome : )

oz
    forum.guy
    The harddrive is okay for most distros, but the RAM count looks pretty weak.

Check this thread for favorite distro for older/weaker hardware:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2009-a.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The harddrive is okay for most distros, but the RAM count looks pretty weak.

Check this thread for favorite distro for older/weaker hardware:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2009-a.html
    ok ty im doing that right now

Just Joined!
    im now downloading puppylinux, and vectorlinux and im burning suse so ill let u know how it goes when im done trying them

12mb RAM? You're not going to get much to run on that. You could try Welcome to Tiny Core Linux

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    12mb RAM? You're not going to get much to run on that. You could try Welcome to Tiny Core Linux
    you're both right, i just updated it added a stick of ram now it has 32768kb =32mb ram right? so wut r my options now : )

Just Joined!
    i just tryed tinycore and got an error with kernel panic.. any other recommendations with 32mb ram?

oz
    forum.guy
    You could take a look at BasicLinux:

BasicLinux
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You could take a look at BasicLinux:

BasicLinux
    ty i did and if all else fails ill give it a try, but i rather not mess with dos lol especially if i have2 do that everytime i want into it lol, but it looks gr8 only need 3mb ram tho, good find lots of credit to u, cuz thats wut i need, low-resource linux lol

Debian and Slackware are known to run on older PCs, especially, when it has ONLY 8 MB of RAM. But you have to start with the basic minmal install and build your operating system up from that. Or go back to a Puppy or Damn Small Linux installation. I.ve installed and ran Puppy 3.01 on a Pentium 100 hz 64mb of ram. Have Damn Small Linux 4.0 Current on it now cuz it is a bit faster. Runs OK on wired Lan.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast