Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since past couple of days, my laptop is getting overheated within no time (approx 30 mins. of powering on ) The "hddtemp" application shows that the temperature is 50 degree ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

too much heating

Since past couple of days, my laptop is getting overheated within no time (approx 30 mins. of powering on )
    The "hddtemp" application shows that the temperature is 50 degree C and the exhaust fans are whirring like crazy blowing really hot air.

That too when my comp is idle and doing no stressful work.

Earlier I used to keep my comp open for 3-4 days at a stretch with no such complaint.

Sometimes I am afraid that my comp itself may melt.

Could it have been some malicious application? or is it just the signal that I should get a new laptop? (If its the latter, my bad, coz this is just 1.5 yrs old)

Linux Newbie
    It happens normally when the exhaust system Ie the heat sink or the processor fan is filled with dust .. just clean it every thing will be fine
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!

No malicious applications. Just overheating case as david mentioned. But be careful when cleaning coz, working with laptops is not easy as desktops. Also, if you remove cpu fan (for cleaning or whatever reasons) you almost always have to replace the thermal interface material. If you are not thorough with these things, its better to get paid service at some laptop repair shops.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    if you are not sure about the hardware ..Please use a paid service to clean the dust which is in the laptop ....
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!