Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everybody, Recently I purchased a PC with conf: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP AMD 780G/SB700/rev.2.1 Processor: AMD phenom x4 9650 Memory: 4 GB HARD Drive: SATA 500 GB Seagate I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Problem in Installing SATA Hard Drive "No Drive Found" Error

Hi Everybody,

Recently I purchased a PC with conf:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP AMD 780G/SB700/rev.2.1
    Processor: AMD phenom x4 9650
    Memory: 4 GB
    HARD Drive: SATA 500 GB Seagate

I am trying to install Linux RH9,FC Core 4 ,FC Core 6 but my Hard drive is not detected every time to any of the versions above and I am getting “No Driver Found” error. My drive is connected as IDE Master Slot .Does anyone tell me which linux version should I use?

I checked my kernel Versions and its minimum kernel 2.4.20-8 and above. I searched for the required hard driver controller drivers for my chipset in the internet but I am unable to get a reliable link where I will find my drivers for my gigabyte chipset.

I have seen the gigabyte site also where they mentioned that all the linux drivers should be downloading from some 3rd party vendor site but I don’t know that which site will support my driver model and will support my chipset
    Does anyone tell me where I can look for the chipset model details which will be compatible to my hard drive controller?

Your suggestions will be very helpful for me and will add a lot of value in solving my problem.

Bye and Have a Great Day Ahead,
    Shubh,
    Last edited by shubhabrata1979; 03-23-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: A Small Typing error

have you checked master slave of HDD & CDorDVD drive ???

there is no need to check if both r individual but, some time it create problem so !!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    those versions of red hat you listed are obsolete, you will likely have less problems installing the newest fedora core 10

Smile

Yes,as coopstah13 said those distro has older linux kernel version,that won't detect SATA - Try new
    distros that should work for you. (For me Fedora 7 did the trick )
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your opinions I will try out the options you suggested and I think that should work.

Meanwhile I was also looking at some of the chipset vendors site searching for the linux drivers for my Gigabyte AMD 780G chipset but was not getting helpful links may be I am not searching in the right direction.Can anyone suggest some good link for the same ? Does any vendor provide that ?

Bye & Thanks,
    Shubh

There is no need to install driver for chipset. As mentioned earlier, you are using obsolete versions. Try latest version of any distro. Most of hardware is supported out of box by all distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

No hard drive found error

the same problem occur for me. I have tested RHLE 5, CentOS 5.4, but none of them detect hard disk (No hard drive is found). My mainboard is ASUS P6X58D premium, CPU i7 950, two 1 TB WD SATA3 hard.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hlinuxk View Post
    the same problem occur for me.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Please start a new thread of your own because this one is 2 years old.

Thank you.

Locking dated thread...
    oz