Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. 1st post so please be gentle or at least let me get my flame suit on! Been playing about with various distros including Ubuntu 8.10, 8.04, Kubuntu 8.10, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Intel 915 friendly linux

Hi all. 1st post so please be gentle or at least let me get my flame suit on!
    Been playing about with various distros including Ubuntu 8.10, 8.04, Kubuntu 8.10, Mandriva 2009 PCLinuxOS 2009 to name but a few. All of which the support for the Intel 915 graphics chip is quite frankly lousy. Sprogs on the screen, poor scrolling speed and google earth? well it works, but certainly not useable.

I have maxed out the shared ram the graphics can use as I have 2gb installed and can't see any other hardware tweaks. I can't swap / add a graphics card as it's a laptop - I don't own a desktop anymore.
    That said it runs reasonably well in that pay for OS that is infested with holes n virus opportunities!

All I need is a suggestion towards distro that actually support and runs with some kind of useability with the i915 chipset. I don't care which or how old the distro is.

All answers appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Psi

Welcome to LinuxForums!

I had a PC with the exact same chipset, it ran Fedora and CRUX perfectly. In fact, it gave me clearer resolution and picture quality than Windows XP on the same box.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

We don't play the "Flame the new guy" game around here, we like to think we have advanced past that stage of life.
    I agree with Jays suggestions and would like to add my own, Mepis and Mint are very good too.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 04-07-2009 at 01:35 AM.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks to the 2 of you for the replies. I am glad you don't bar-b-que noobs at will! Have seen so many forums that do that. Anyway I digress.

Thanks for the suggestions it is appreciated. Should I be looking for any particular versions of the suggested distros? I am led to believe that the latest Xservers can be an issue for the 915 chipset after reading about in internet land.

@ jayd512 Info on which version you had success with wolud be superb if you don't mind.

Ta very muchly.

PsiDOC

I ran Fedora Core 6, as well as Fedora 7, 8 and 9. Never had as much as a stutter-step out of my graphics.
    CRUX 2.4 did just as good on most graphics, and better on others.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jayd512 for all your help.
    Just to provide closure on this question I have settled on Knoppix 6 which seems to work well even with Compiz running, 3d anamations and all.
    Am well happy now... Bye bye microshaft!

Psi