Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am currently trying to help my sister migrate to Linux, but I have run into some severe problems getting any distribution to work properly on her Packard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Only one CPU detected (possibly ACPI-related problem)

Hi all,

I am currently trying to help my sister migrate to Linux, but I have run into some severe problems getting any distribution to work properly on her Packard Bell Easynote laptop. The computer is running an Intel Pentium Dual CPU apparently called "T2310", but under Linux I cannot get the computer to detect more than one CPU. Just to be clear, this is not an issue under Windows Vista. So far I have tried Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, openSUSE, Fedora and PuppyLinux, and all of them fail to even install unless I specifically turn off ACPI or enable what the Ubuntu installer calls "ACPI workarounds". I do not actually know much about ACPI, but I have come to understand that it, among other things, enables the use of multiple CPUs.

I may have this all wrong, but it seems quite clear to me that my disabling ACPI is the reason why only one CPU is detected. If this is indeed the case, is there anything I can do to fix this issue? Is it obvious what is causing ACPI to crash my computer, and in that case, is there anything I can do to avoid crashing that doesn't involve disabling ACPI altogether?

I realize it might be impossible to help me without more information, and I will of course provide whatever information is deemed relevant by anyone who finds it in her/his heart to offer their help.

Thanks for reading!

With friendly greetings from Norway,
    Marius

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You are correct. According to the Intel data sheets, this is a low-power dual core CPU. ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) does help with auto-discovery of system hardware capabilities as well as power management. I believe that there is also what is called enhanced-ACPI. What do you see when you go into the BIOS configuration for this laptop? Is there any indication of functions related to ACPI besides enable/disable?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!