Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I'm planning to build a AMD Quadcore box with following config; CPU - AMD PHENOM II X4 940 RAM - DDRII 800 CL4 dual channel, >8G The box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Seeking advice on selecting motherboard

Hi folks,

I'm planning to build a AMD Quadcore box with following config;

CPU - AMD PHENOM II X4 940
    RAM - DDRII 800 CL4 dual channel, >8G

The box will be used for testing server consolidation running either Xen/Vserver/OpenVZ as virtualization software. There will be >10 servers running on the box.

Operation System - host and guests Linux, Debian or Ubuntu
    Architecture - 64bits
    Servers to be build - mail and web servers, CRM and PSPP(for statistical computing)
    Server installation and fine tuning - via ssh remotely

No graphic editing nor gaming will be required. Onboard vedio card is of minor important. I can re-use an old graphic card. Windows server may be tested only if required providing advice to customers running Windows server. The same will be used for reference only.

Actually an AMD dualcore CPU can satisfy my application. But I have AMD dualcore boxes here. I expect trying AMD Quadcore CPU instead of building a new PC with the major components of yesterday.

Please recommend me an economic motherboard for my use. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I sell Computer's and computer components, and I would point you in the direction of a mid-range MSI motherboard if you are looking for something economic, but if you are looking for something that will last for a long time then I would suggest Asus.

Cheers!
    Tom

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eTech97 View Post
    I sell Computer's and computer components, and I would point you in the direction of a mid-range MSI motherboard if you are looking for something economic, but if you are looking for something that will last for a long time then I would suggest Asus.

Cheers!
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your advice.

I have been running Asus and GIGABYTE mobo for long line without major problem. Of these 2 I prefer Asus.

B.R.
    satimis