Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is the easiest way to convert my old VHS tapes to a DVD? I have a couple stand alone vcrs. I have a 13" tv/vcr combination. I have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Converting my VHS tapes to DVD

What is the easiest way to convert my old VHS tapes to a DVD? I have a couple stand alone vcrs. I have a 13" tv/vcr combination. I have an old WinTV card that has vid, line in, line out, s video and tv connections. I also have a couple of rca composite to s video cables. I am using a Asus EN8400GS video card which has a dvi, vga, and s video connection. What items can I use to do the conversion? I'm also using the K9N SLI Platinum with the AMD 5000+ cpu. Thanks, GaryH

Linux Guru
    You should be able to use the WinTV card to capture the video from the VCR. What version of WinTV card is it?

To record the video to your hard drive, you could use these programs:

VDR
    Cinelerra

You could also use MythTV to record the input. Cinelerra ia also an editing program.

To make a DVD, I would recommend the Q-dvdauthor program. It is a frontend for the dvdauthor terminal program, MythTV also has the ability to make DVDs of recorded programs.

'Q' DVD-Author
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

VHS to DVD conversion

The WinTV card says NTSC 61201 Rev B2M 1998 on it. Gary

Linux Guru
    I think what you have is a WinTV-GO card.

Amazon.com: Hauppauge 1033 WinTV-GO-Plus TV Tuner: Electronics
    HAUPPUAGE WINTV 61381 REV423 PCI FM/TV TUNER CARD - eBay (item 370176608476 end time Apr-19-09 18:52:40 PDT)

What really matters is what the system sees it as. Post the output of these three commands.
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    lsmod
    Code:
    dmesg | grep conexant
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.