Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was browsing the internet and my moniter went poof, but the computer kept running. I restarted, and the screen flashed, and then went black and stayed that way even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop moniter stopped working

I was browsing the internet and my moniter went poof, but the computer kept running. I restarted, and the screen flashed, and then went black and stayed that way even through logging in (sound is fine). I hooked up the laptop to an external moniter, which has been working, and occassionally my moniter will flash when I do something. I don't see any pattern. Earlier today it worked for about ten minutes while hooked up to the external moniter for no apparant reason, and stopped just as suddenly.

I'm not sure what to make of this. The monitor seems to be functional. Could there be some sort of loose wire or is this a configuration issue?

Sounds like a video card in the laptop got hot. Let it alone for a day or so and try to see if it is ok when it cools down. If you want to know if its hardware related try to go into bios after video shuts down and see if you get a readable bios screen. You can also buy a can of air and blow out any dust trapped inside of laptop also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Sounds like a video card in the laptop got hot. Let it alone for a day or so and try to see if it is ok when it cools down. If you want to know if its hardware related try to go into bios after video shuts down and see if you get a readable bios screen. You can also buy a can of air and blow out any dust trapped inside of laptop also.
    Alright, I'll leave it for a day, try these things, and get back to you. Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You did say that an external monitor works ok? If so, then it likely isn't a video card problem. It is possible that the back-light of the LCD has gone (or is going) poof. If that is the case (not uncommon - how old is the laptop?) then you will need a new display (replacing the backlight is just about as much as expensive as a new display, unless you can find a local repair facility that deals with that stuff - I have one locally, fortunately).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!