Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have my IBM 300PL and I got a Powerleap CPU upgrade (I think it's a socket Pentium III 1.4 GHz on an adapter/riser card/cartridge that fits into slot 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

IBM 300PL Powerleap

I have my IBM 300PL and I got a Powerleap CPU upgrade (I think it's a socket Pentium III 1.4 GHz on an adapter/riser card/cartridge that fits into slot 1 CPU).

When I boot the PC I get the error "A processor BIOS update cannot be found" and the BIOS says I have a 877 MHz processor installed. The XP system properties reports a 1400 MHz CPU as does CPU-Z (well 1390, but close enough).

Does this mean that Windows can bypass the BIOS limitation, even though the BIOS can't use all the MHz of the CPU, Windows can? (Cuz it's never than the BIOS, well actualy this BIOS is dated 2002 and XP is 2001, funny even the oldest Ubuntu is newer than XP).

How do I know if Ubuntu is utilizing the full potential of this CPU? I have a newer BIOS than the one on the Powerleap site, but the message won't go away.

To find out what is going on with hardware in my boxes I open Terminal and type in

Code:
    sudo lshw
    enter my password and everything you need to know shows up. Can't answer your Windows question though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

*-cpu
    description: CPU
    product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU family 1400MHz
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 4
    bus info: cpu@0
    version: 6.11.1
    slot: CPU
    size: 866MHz
    capacity: 1GHz
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 133MHz
    capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    *-cache:0
    That's what sudo lshw gives me

product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU family 1400MHz
    looks to me that ubuntu is recognising it as a pentium R lll CPU 1400 MHz

How do I know if Ubuntu is utilizing the full potential of this CPU
    That readout tells you it is reading the full potentional so you are utilizing it in Ubuntu

You can install Htop from Synaptic Package manager for more info. You look ok to me. Happy Trails
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Forgot to mention, I also use Conky in 2 of my Linux distros for monitering. You can install it also through synaptic package manager. To enable in Ubuntu after you install it is open Terminal and type in
    Code:
    conky
    It is highly configureable. Conky - Home
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Man, I am tired and spaced out. Also forgot to mention that after you install htop you might have to log out and back in again for it to show up in the applications menu. If its not there, just open terminal and type in
    htop
    Conky won't show up in the applications menu. Just use terminal command I gave you for it. You can use Htop to close it when you want it off the screen. Tired
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home