Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I presume it (the one burned in Windows) was burned on another drive/system? If so, it is possible that one or the other are out of spec, creating discs that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

I presume it (the one burned in Windows) was burned on another drive/system? If so, it is possible that one or the other are out of spec, creating discs that are hard to read in other devices. Also, the commercial DVD that you are having trouble with - when you install it, does the system recognize that a disc is in the drive and pop up a menu of options on your desktop? If so, can you open it and see the directories (VIDEO_TS, etc)? If so, then the problem there may be simply dirt or scratches on the disc. In any case, it is possible that your Linux drive either has a dirty lens, or is out of alignment. You can also try a cd/dvd cleaning disc to see if that helps.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I had a similar problem and I solved it using the steps here (it refers to MATLAB 2010 but it's the same for any MATLAB version you have):

URL:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB/R2009b#MATLAB%20R2009b%20Installation%20Instructio ns"]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB/R2009b#MATLAB%20R2009b%20Installation%20Instructio ns

(I can't directly hyperlink in my post on these forums until I make 15 posts... ridiculous)

Basically my problem was that I was trying to run

Code:
    sudo sh ./install_unix.sh
    but my working directory at the time was /media/cdrom0 or /media/cdrom (I don't think it matters). So when Linux asks for a root directory for Matlab to be installed in it uses the current working path by default. You need to make a new directory for your MATLAB installation and cd into it THAN you can run the install script from there:

Code:
    sudo sh /media/cdrom0/install_unix.sh
    If you're working directory is /media/cdrom, you will get errors about not being able to write to the DVD regardless of permissions - and this should make sense to you. Unix is trying to write directly to a DVD. In fact if (for some reason) you try to chmod 777 both the "unix" directory and the install_unix.sh shell script inside cdrom0 than you will "break" them because (and this is just speculation) the license files residing inside are not intended to be written to and this is a safeguard to that.

But you don't need to worry about any of that just follow the instructions in the Ubuntu support community link on this matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2