Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook running Linpus Linux Lite. Can you recommend an external DVD Drive I can use with this netbook?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What External DVD Drive for Acer Aspire One with Linux Lite?

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook running Linpus Linux Lite. Can you recommend an external DVD Drive I can use with this netbook?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Pretty much any USB DVD drive should be just fine. There are good units from many manufacturers such as Iomega, Sony, HP, LiteOn, etc, any number of which can be found at your local Best Buy, Office Depot, or other computer/electronics/office supply store.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Is Software needed for DVD Drive & Linux Lite?

All the USB DVD Drives offer video software (and drivers) for Windows, but will this software work with Linux Lite, or do I need special video software, or will the ISB DVD drive work directly with the "My Videos" icon in Linux Lite?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by saclarkdoc View Post
    All the USB DVD Drives offer video software (and drivers) for Windows, but will this software work with Linux Lite, or do I need special video software, or will the ISB DVD drive work directly with the "My Videos" icon in Linux Lite?
    Your system video playback software should work with it, just like it would if you had a regular ide-ata DVD player in/on your system. Don't bother with the Windows software (video playback) or drivers since your Linux system cannot use them. You might be able to install the playback software under Wine, but without trying I could not say for sure. Plug the drive in your system. It should recognize it and put a DVD drive icon up on the desktop. Then, put in a disc and see if it then pop's up a window asking if you want to open it (view the files) or play it with one or more video playback applications, such as VLC, mplayer, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!