Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to purchase a new multifunction printer and am looking a lot at the brother printers. I like some of the Canon printers such as the MF6590 but don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Compatibility of Brother MFC Printers

I want to purchase a new multifunction printer and am looking a lot at the brother printers. I like some of the Canon printers such as the MF6590 but don't think it works with Linux.
    I am interested in the MFC8860DN specifically but would also consider the MFC8890DW, MFC8670DN, MFC8460DN, MFC8870DW, or MFC8480DN.
    These all have features I'm interested in but I have checked both my Mandriva and Ubuntu machines and don't see a driver for either.
    Yet I do see drivers such as MFC8420 8440, 8640 8820, and 8840. Would either of these Linux drivers work with the above printers? Unfortunately with mail ordering this printer I don't want to have to pay the return shipping if it doesn't work with Linux

oz
    forum.guy
    If you haven't done so already, check openprinting.org for the printers you are interested in to see how they might work with Linux. I've also found that Brother printers that do work with Linux will usually have Linux drivers buried somewhere on the CD that comes with the printer.

So far, every Brother printer that I've ever purchased worked great with Linux, but there are lots of models that I've not tried yet.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Check this....
    Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions

I have had a great experience w/ Brother and their support of Linux. If only ALL of their printers supported postscript emulation...