Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been looking for this answer since this morning with no resolution. This morning using Disk Utility I was trying to burn an .iso image. I have done it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media

I have been looking for this answer since this morning with no resolution. This morning using Disk Utility I was trying to burn an .iso image. I have done it before successfully. Then I go the error indicated in the subject:

The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media.

This is the log from Disk Utility:

Aug 28 09:58:11: Disk Utility started.
    Burning Image "<file.iso>"
    Preparing data for burn
    Opening session
    Opening track
    Writing track
    Closing session
    Finishing burn
    Burn failed
    The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media. Unable to burn "<file.iso>"- The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media..

I doing the burning in another mac and is working fine. I'm having this problem in the server.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Is this a Mac running OSX? Or is it a Linux box? This is a Linux forum, so Mac support is pretty spotty. In any case, when burning a CD, the system needs to adjust the laser output for the media. There may be a fault in the drive that is causing this problem to occur. I have dual burners on my system's IDE-ATA controller, one the master, the other the slave. I can burn DVD's on either drive, but only the master seems to deal with the laser calibration needed for CD burning, so I use one for CD's and the other for DVD's. Go figure.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!