Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I want to buy a new (pre-built) computer, as my current one is a bit old. I've gotten some help from my local Linux users group, but there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

potential hardware issues

Hello,

I want to buy a new (pre-built) computer, as my current one is a bit old. I've gotten some help from my local Linux users group, but there are still a few things that I'm unsure of:

* If I get a motherboard with onboard graphics and put a PCIe x16 video card in it, will the onboard graphics give me trouble? (e.g. sucking power even though unused, confusing Linux)

* Should I just disregard remarks from retailers like the following one?
    "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website."

* And the most important one of all: I need to be able to hibernate, and preferably sleep as well, my new machine WITH the video card's full drivers installed. (By "full drivers" I mean nvidia's driver for their cards, and the equivalents for other manufacturers.) Is this as much of an issue with Linux anymore? I've only been able to find threads about this (not just on this forum) that are at least a year old.

Thanks,
    Aidan

Linux User
    The surest way to have a good experience is by buying from someone who pre-installs linux, such as system 76. Google for pre-installed linux and see what comes up.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Quote Originally Posted by wgsilkie View Post
    Hello,

I want to buy a new (pre-built) computer, as my current one is a bit old. I've gotten some help from my local Linux users group, but there are still a few things that I'm unsure of:

* If I get a motherboard with onboard graphics and put a PCIe x16 video card in it, will the onboard graphics give me trouble? (e.g. sucking power even though unused, confusing Linux)

* Should I just disregard remarks from retailers like the following one?
    "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website."

* And the most important one of all: I need to be able to hibernate, and preferably sleep as well, my new machine WITH the video card's full drivers installed. (By "full drivers" I mean nvidia's driver for their cards, and the equivalents for other manufacturers.) Is this as much of an issue with Linux anymore? I've only been able to find threads about this (not just on this forum) that are at least a year old.

Thanks,
    Aidan
    Hello and Welcome.
    The onboard video card should not give any problems, you may have an option in the BIOS (my machine does) to tell the machine to enable the PCI device and disable the onboard card. This is usually not an issue.

Remarks from hardware vendors are usually disregarded when it comes to Linux as most drivers are built into the kernel itself. If the driver is not available in the kernel, usually the Hardware vendor will release a proprietary driver that will enable you to use the device, although this must be installed separately.

Most distro's will include Sleep/Hibernate functions but I can't vouch for these items because I have never used them.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    The surest way to have a good experience is by buying from someone who pre-installs linux, such as system 76. Google for pre-installed linux and see what comes up.
    I'm in New Zealand. That's quite expensive and hard to find.
    Last edited by wgsilkie; 05-10-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: My emoticon didn't show up.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello and Welcome.
    The onboard video card should not give any problems, you may have an option in the BIOS (my machine does) to tell the machine to enable the PCI device and disable the onboard card. This is usually not an issue.

Remarks from hardware vendors are usually disregarded when it comes to Linux as most drivers are built into the kernel itself. If the driver is not available in the kernel, usually the Hardware vendor will release a proprietary driver that will enable you to use the device, although this must be installed separately.
    OK, that's what I was thinking, but I thought it would be better to ask. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Most distro's will include Sleep/Hibernate functions but I can't vouch for these items because I have never used them.
    I know most distros come with Sleep/Hibernate functionality which work with the free Xorg drivers. Trouble doesn't (but won't necessarily) come until you get the full drivers.