Find the answer to your Linux question:
Friends, My Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop has two headphone jacks. In Vista: -> Jack 1 behaves normally, the laptop speakers are blocked and audio is routed to the headphone. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Headphone Jacks

Friends,
    My Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop has two headphone jacks.
    In Vista:
    -> Jack 1 behaves normally, the laptop speakers are blocked and audio is routed to the headphone.
    -> Jack 2 doesnt mute the speakers and both the headphone and the speakers work simultaneously.
    I guess this is what is expected, you can actually plugin two hedphones simultaneously and both would work.

Now in Linux (Gentoo 2.6.27):
    -> Jack 1 blocks the laptop speakers, and no sound in the headphone too. It mutes everything.
    ->Jack 2 behaves like it does in windows -> both speakers and headphones work.

Output of aplay -l :
    \**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And yes nothing is muted in alsamixer.
    alsamixer -c 1 (card 1) is a bit strange though.. has only one bar IEC958, and theres no bar actually to change the volume.
    alsamixer -c 0 has lots of bars, but the headphone bar doesnt effect the volume of headphones plugged (even in jack 2).

I have tried a lot but cant fix it, I cant use my headphone at all and its very annoying. Please help me.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Dude I got the same problem .. if U get ny further with this plzz let me know ...
    thanx in advance

Just Joined!
    People,
    Is there no one to help me out ?
    Its driving me insane, I stay in a place where no noise is tolerated, i csnt watch anything.

Linux User
    If no noise is tolerated, would it be a problem to unplug the speakers and plug the headphones in the speaker jack?
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    You didn't get what i am saying .. one port which should block the inbuilt speakers blocks everything .. no sound speaker or heaphone and the other jack behaves normally , blocks nothing so the inbuilt speakers are always on.