Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm very much a newbie to Linux and am having some trouble getting online using Redhat 7.3 dual-booted with XP on my Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. When I go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Access - Redhat 7.3 on Dell XPS

Hi,

I'm very much a newbie to Linux and am having some trouble getting online using Redhat 7.3 dual-booted with XP on my Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. When I go to Network Configuration in Linux, the only network card that shows up is a 3Com 3c501 card. My XPS laptop has an Integrated 10/100/1000 GB Ethernet card, though. I've been told I should connect via DHCP and someone suggested I should download a driver from Broadcom. Any tips are appreciated - thanks very much! -Kathy

Just Joined!
    Dell uses Broadcom cards. Download the driver and compile it as a loadable module. (You don't have to compile the kernel again). Then use insmod and your driver starts working.

Cheers

Just Joined!

Broadcom Driver

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm a complete newbie to Linux though, and so don't understand all the steps you suggested. Could you recommend any website that I could look at to get more details as to which driver specifically I need, how to compile it, using insmod, etc. Thank you! Sincerely, Kathy.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close