Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to set up Linux on a USB Flash Drive and want to either install to the drive or run a Live Distribution from it since I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which USB Drive should I use for Linux Live USB?

I am going to set up Linux on a USB Flash Drive and want to either install to the drive or run a Live Distribution from it since I want to stay with the distro I have on my hard drive.
    What size or type of drive should I use? I have access to a Corsair Voyager 16GB. Is 16GB enough and would the speed of it be enough?
    I have seen other drives such as the OCZ Rally 2 which have faster write and read speeds.

Any USB drive with a half decent write speed will do the job. The Corsair Voyagers are all pretty decent speedwise and 16GB is plenty. I've installed on several Voyagers with complete success. They're very good drives.

Even if it's a slow drive it'll still work. I find USB drives a lot faster to run from than normal harddrives.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've made a number of liveUSB drives using 1GB and 2GB devices. I prefer to use a 2GB micro-sd card in a USB carrier. But that's just a personal thing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!