Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You cannot use the device designator like a file system. You first have to mount it on an existing directory/mount-point. To see if it is already mounted, execute the "mount" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

You cannot use the device designator like a file system. You first have to mount it on an existing directory/mount-point. To see if it is already mounted, execute the "mount" command without arguments. It will show you a list of mounted devices. If your drives are there, then you will also see their mount points. If not, then create the empty directory /mnt and /mnt/name where name is a name to give each drive, such as drive1 or drive2. Next, mount the drives there: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/drive1 ; mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/drive2

When they are mounted, then you can copy the files from /mnt/drive1 to /mnt/drive2.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    root@servergra]# mkdir /mnts/sda1
    mkdir:cannot create directory '/mnt/sda1': Read-only file system
    root@servergra]# mkdir /mnts/usb
    mkdir:cannot create directory '/mnt/usb': Read-only file system
    root@servergra]# mkdir /dev/sdd1
    mkdir:cannot create directory '/dev/sdd1': Read-only file system

then the mount code return that the mount /mnt/sda1 does not exist.
    What should I do to have the /dev/sdd1 and sda1 the write access or to get rid of this "Read-only file system" so that I can create a directory

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Can you please say what Linux distribution (name) and version (#) you are using? And yes, you cannot just make /dev/sdx as a directory. There is a command to make device nodes that will appear there, but that isn't the issue. I was just confused by the device naming conventions your system is using - I am not familiar with that form, which is why I ask about the name+version of Linux you use.

Just Joined!
    I am using fedora 10(i686) (2.6.27.19-17.0.2 fc10 (i686) not sure is that version.

Now I have a system rescued CD version 1.2.0 and I have boot with it, when I try to mount it the same error message appear. Does the the system resued repair or X11 or xorg.conf, if so how do i do it

1. Boot rescue CD and get to command line.
    2. Create mount points: /mnt, /mnt/bad1, /mnt/backup
    3. Create (if necessary) ext3 file system on usb drive. This assumes that /dev/sdd1 is the usb drive's primary partition.
    Code:
    mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdd1
    4. Mount hard drive partitions and usb drive:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/bad1
    mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/backup
    If you get an error, then specify the file system type in the commands above, as in: mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/bad1
    If you still get errors, then unmount the hard drive: umount /mnt/bad1
    and run fsck on it: fsck -f /dev/sda1
    5. Backup your data.

Just Joined!
    thanks I managed to copy data to the external harddrive after I entered the above mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 code. I used the photorec tool to recover data. But files with extension .txt, max and doc are not openning. I used system rescueCD to boot

In fact all my word documents are not openning, is there an tool to recover text documents, on the system resueCD. All pictures, jpg,bmp have been recovered without problems.

I'm not familiar with photorec. I just use the system cp or tar commands myself. It could be that photorec is designed to backup image files and not other types. As I said, I'm not familiar with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2