Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do I recover data from a hard drive that has been install with fedora, should I slave it on another fedora pc. What are the procedures steps to take....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to recover data from harddrive

How do I recover data from a hard drive that has been install with fedora, should I slave it on another fedora pc. What are the procedures steps to take.

Boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro, mount Fedora partition(s) and copy data in External Disk, Stick or any other media.

Post the output of fdisk -l command here.
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Is there something wrong with the hard drive? Will it not boot any more? Is it a Linux data-only drive?

I usually attach a drive to a USB adapter and connect it to my Linux laptop to back up any data. This works for any drive, including those formatted with Windows. I have even been able to retrieve some data from failed (crashed) hard drives this way, depending on the severity of the problem.

Windows will not read a Linux formatted drive without special software, and even then it is slow. There are several applications available (sorry, I can't post URL's yet).

I have also had success with using a Linux live CD and copying files from the hard drive to a network share.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    the results of the fdisk -l code is

Disk /dev/sda:160.0 GB 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0006cd12

Device Boot Start End Block Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 26 19457 156087540 8e linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00092b15

/dev/sdb1 * 1 60802 488386583+ 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB 500107862016 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00081343

/dev/sdc1 * 1 60802 488386583+ 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdd: 500.1 GB 500107862016 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xdd17c7f1

/dev/sdd 1 60801 488384001 83 Linux

the external harddrive is /dev/sdd. Need to copy i contents in the /dev/sda1 to the external harddrive
    Last edited by perfectpol7; 06-02-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: grammar

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do you want a bit image that you can later restore in-toto? Or a file system backup? Either is possible.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Need to recover data that I may use it again. I have tried to use knoppix 5.3.1 but failing to get the data, only viewing the harddrive boot without other folder in it

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The easy way to recover this data is to have a large enough external drive (USB hard drive, or whatever), boot a liveCD/DVD/USB drive. Manually mount the hard drive partition you want to recover, and either copy it in its entirety to the backup drive, or create a tarball (optionally compressed) written to the backup drive.

If a folder in the booted system is empty when you access it from a liveCD, then it is likely that folder was a mount point for another partition. You'll need to figure out which drive/partition that was (you can find that in the /etc/fstab on the drive you are recovering) and mount that as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    I always use the copy/paste method as described above by Rubberman if the data isn't corrupted. If data and partitions are corrupted, take a look at TestDisk and PhotoRec for possible recovery:

TestDisk - CGSecurity

The PartedMagic LiveCD is probably one of the easiest ways to try one or both of them:

Parted Magic LiveCD
    oz

Just Joined!
    The data is not corrupted, Now am able to go to the command prompt, if i use code locate (folder name) i can see the folder path. How do I copy these folder to external harddrive, the external harddrive is /dev/sdd1 and the data i want to retrieve is on disk /dev/sda. When i used cp /dev/sda1/home/Administrator/User Data/Info /dev/sdd1/New Folder.
    I am getting this error message cp:target '/dev/sdd1/New folder' is not a directory.

How do I copy the home directory files to the usb external drive

Just Joined!
    You have spaces in your directory names. Linux treats spaces as a separation of arguments for the commands. You have two options:

1. Rename the directories to remove the spaces (replace with a _ or something)
    2. Use the escape character '\' to force the spaces to be treated differently. For example, your target directory with the escape character would look like this: "/dev/sdd1/New\ folder". The \ tells the system to treat the next character as space in the directory or file name instead of a separation in the arguments.

An easy way to remember this is to use tab completion. If you start typing "cp /dev/sdd1/New" then hit the tab key, it will complete the rest for you, including the escape character. Try it.

-Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast