Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have 2 servers '.106' and '.12'. Both of them are having some problems. '.12' has only 1 HDD and there is a blinking red light. Did a test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red hat's HDD Red light

Hi,

I have 2 servers '.106' and '.12'. Both of them are having some problems. '.12' has only 1 HDD and there is a blinking red light. Did a test (using SMART located in the Linux OS) on the HDD and found that the HDD passed the test. However, the red light is still blinking.

For '.106', there are 3 hot-swap HDDs. I wasn't able to use SMART to test the HDDs and so I have no idea if the hardware is having problems. The red light on the 3 hot-swap HDDs are blinking.

May I know if there are anyone had solved such problems before?

Please enlighten me.

Best regards,
    noviceWinner
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It could be due to any number of problems, such as overheating, a transient parity error, incipient failure detected by drive controller. You need to do two things.

1. Shut down the systems and let them cool down to ambient temperature (overnight). Then restart and see if the problem "goes away".
    2. Do #1, and if problem persists, run system and disc diagnostics for an extended period.

Likely that since these are "live" systems, you will need to do this over the weekend, or alternatively, install new servers with adequate disc space, copy the data over, and switch to the new systems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!