Find the answer to your Linux question:
I some how deleted my wireless driver for my Dell mini 9. I do have the disc but not disk drive so on my desktop I ripped my drivers disc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing drivers as iso?

I some how deleted my wireless driver for my Dell mini 9. I do have the disc but not disk drive so on my desktop I ripped my drivers disc to a iso file and placed it on a thumb drive. I am trying to use Furious iso mount to get it working but it tells me I have to be in root ( I no nothing about root). But if I click on the "loop" button with the software it will let me open the disc but the exe file has a lock on it and when I click on it nothing happens. What is the easiest route for me and as much help as possible is appreciated. Thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You have to be root to install drivers, or run with sudo. You will need to do this from a command-line terminal window.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Are you sure you removed the drivers? Do you know what you might have done?

Please open a terminal and post the output of
    Code:
    lsmod
    Before trying any of the below, let us review the output of lsmod. We're looking for an entry that reads wl, which would indicate the driver is loading.

The Dell Mini has a Broadcom 4312 wireless card. There are two drivers that work for this. Broadcom has a driver, the Broadcom-wl, which is what the Mini 9 ships with, and the b43 driver, which requires a little extra firmware to work.

I don't know of a Ubuntu package for the wl, so it's a bit of a pain to install, but word is it works better. I have a dell mini with Arch, and I use that driver.

Here are instructions for that: Installing Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver Lost in Cyberspace

Otherwise, if you can get a wired connection for a couple minutes, just open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    after install, it will prompt you to download the necessary firmware.

I believe the b43 driver is blacklisted (won't load) by default, because the Mini is configured to use the wl driver, so you'll also need to look in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. To edit, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Look for a line that looks like
    Code:
    blacklist b43
    Place a pound sign (#) at the beginning of the line and save.