Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I recently installed and configured CRUX linux v2.5 [thanks to Dan_Dapper!] Now I'm struggling with sound support. My questions are: do I need to have ALSA compiled into the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] CRUX sound + tv tuner

Hello,

I recently installed and configured CRUX linux v2.5 [thanks to Dan_Dapper!]
    Now I'm struggling with sound support.
    My questions are: do I need to have ALSA compiled into the kernel in order to receive ANY sound? and how can I turn on support for the Brooktree bt878 tuner? I know it works under other distros, so it must works here somehow: do I need to compile support into the kernel?
    Another thing: every tim I try to compile xawtv and such [like XFCE4 from xfce sync], It halts on the error message: no alsa-lib. I also tried to install alsa-lib, but it ..... hung on itself :
    Code:
    =======> ERROR: Building '/usr/ports/opt/alsa-lib/alsa-lib#1.0.20-1.pkg.tar.gz' failed.

-- Packages where install failed
    alsa-lib
    And ... there's one more thing for now: how can I upgrade installed Firefox? is v3.04 the newest available version here?

Thanks for any help,
    marc

Hi marc_smith. I'd hate to advise you on the tv stuff as I've never fooled with that, but as far as the sound goes, alsa can be found under "Sound card support --> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Compile Alsa as a module or make sure it has a <M> beside it, not a <*>. Under Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ---> look for PCI sound devices ---> (assuming your card is indeed pci) and there find your particular device. I have mine set up as <*>. After compiling support for alsa, you'll need packages alsa -driver, alsa-lib, alsa-oss, alsa-utils and alsa-lib. (or at least this is what I have and mine works.

Hey! You obviously got network connected! That's a big deal! Congratulations!

Doing CRUX the first time around can be as frustrating as the transition from Windows to Linux so hang in there, take your time and don't get into a rush. Enjoy the process and you'll have an outstanding CRUX screenie to share with us before you know it!
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-07-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dapper_dan
    I'd hate to advise you on the tv stuff as I've never fooled with that,[
    Ok, let's focus on a sound problem then.
    I did everything as described, but I still get the error during alsa-lib compilation. I am not able to play any sound. What I can is to load OSS modules [this is what I compiled beside alsa].

P.S Personaly I think that ALSA is a real pain and the linux kernel devs decision about deprecating OSS is just simply beyond me, as it has no logic
    P.S 2: it seems everything is alsa-lib dependant. Wow, what a smart decision to make it so.

Maybe you could look further back in the alsa-lib compile and see where the errors begin and post it to the end. That would help a lot in trouble shooting it. Hopefully, it's something easy to figure out.

Just Joined!
    You'll find a full build-log in the attachment.
    Thank you for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Weird one. I can find no errors in your compile and it gives none at the end other than:
    prt-get: error while install

-- Packages where install failed
    alsa-lib
    Perhaps try:
    Code:
    prt-get depinst -if -im -f alsa-lib

Just Joined!
    Well, that actually worked!
    Code:
    =======> WARNING: Footprint ignored.
    =======> Building '/usr/ports/opt/alsa-lib/alsa-lib#1.0.20-1.pkg.tar.gz' succeeded.
    prt-get: installing alsa-lib 1.0.20-1

-- Packages installed
    alsa-lib

prt-get: installed successfully
    but the question is: does it make the system dirty?

I've run into this several times over the years and have never run into problems when ignoring the footprint mismatch. See here for more: Link
    I'm somewhat surprised that it didn't give you a "footprint mismatch" warning at the end. Must have been overlooked somehow. I wouldn't worry about it at all if it were me.

Just Joined!
    Well., these parameters certainly help with alsa-lib and several packages, but they unfortunately don't work with few others I tried to compile with prt-get. I get the same error and nothing actually installs, or I just get info, that *some* of the packages were actually installed, but couple of them wasn't.

Running into errors is going to happen from time to time when you compile packages from source. I ran into the same thing when running Gentoo and have always run into them when compiling on other distros.

For me, I accept it as just a part of compiling from source and see it as an opportunity to learn. In almost every case, when Googling a specific compile error, I'll find someone else who has had the exact same problem and can usually find a solution.

Occasionally I run into compile errors I cannot solve. In those cases, I'll resort to installing the equivalent Slackware package. With a few adjustments, this has worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast