Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, When I'm print printing I'm frequently (but not always) getting the error message: "Failed to print document: Too many failed attempts" This more often happens when I try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Error message when printing??

Hi,

When I'm print printing I'm frequently (but not always) getting the error message:
    "Failed to print document: Too many failed attempts"

This more often happens when I try to print several pages at once but its now happening with a single page. Last night was a particularly bad on in that after printing about 4 sides I got the above error and that was the end of printing for the day.

Any ideas?

Ubuntu 9.04 and printer is HP1460

Linux Guru
    Some more detailed information on the problem may be found in the system logs. These can be found in the /var/log/ folder. If you are using CUPS for printing, there is the /var/log/cups/ folder. Otherwise, check the output of dmesg when the printing fails.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Some more detailed information on the problem may be found in the system logs. These can be found in the /var/log/ folder. If you are using CUPS for printing, there is the /var/log/cups/ folder. Otherwise, check the output of dmesg when the printing fails.
    Well I've just done a bit of googling around on this and seems that I'm not alone. It seems there is a bug in Jaunty when printing from Evince. This seems quite a recent discovery and some work arounds people are trying which I dont fully understand. So looks like it's a ongoing at the moment. I'm going to see if it occurs anywhere else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I just printed a page from a .pdf document, that I opened with Evince. I had no problems.

I use CUPS to handle the printers, and my printer is a networked printer. The version of Evince I have is 2.26.1.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I just printed a page from a .pdf document, that I opened with Evince. I had no problems.

I use CUPS to handle the printers, and my printer is a networked printer. The version of Evince I have is 2.26.1.
    I have the same version of Evince. It seems some people do have the problem (like after upgrading to Jaunty...I did a clean install) and some dont. I apparently do! But I can print out of acrobat without problem. What I did just find though if I get the problem and it wont print/give me the error msg I simply click on print preview and then hit print from there and it works fine. go figure! I guess I'll just use Acrobat and let the bug get fixed in time!

Mike