Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got an HP laptop (Pavilion dv5). The output of lspci is: Code: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series I'm trying to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

what gfx card is it?

Hi,
    I've got an HP laptop (Pavilion dv5). The output of lspci is:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
    I'm trying to get ATI's drivers, however, in the 'modbility radeon' section there are only the following cards:

X1800. X1600, X1400, X1300, X800, X700, X600, X300, 9800, 9700, 9600.

I'll try to give ATI's driver another go.

thank you

What distribution are you using? There may be inbuilt tools to get the correct driver for you.

Other than that, I can see under the Radeon section of the driver download page there is a driver for ATI Radeon HD 3xxx series. To my knowledge the driver is the same, the selection tool is only to check that your card is supported. That said, if your distro has an inbuilt driver tool I would recommend sticking with that.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks,
    Yeah, I've seen Radeon HD 3xxx series, but thought that as it's an ATI's card and ATI's website, they would organise it in a more orderly fashion, ie. mobility radeon cards in the mobility radeon section Nevermind.

I'm using slackware 12.2. I've already tried a few times to install it, however, it always ended up in a broken X (so I had to restore my old xorg.conf.) I'm alright using radeonhd driver for the time being. I don't play many games and compiz is not my thing so I don't desperately need ati's proprietary driver, however, it's very irritating that I can't get it work.

I'll give it one more try.

thanks

Well I'll assume if you're running Slackware you're well able to find your way around. I don't use ATI cards myself and there seems to be a good spread of drivers in both the open source drivers and the proprietary ones. I'll have to leave you to some more experienced Slack-using forum members

According to this source your card is supported by OSS driver.

Linux Guru
    According to the ATI driver documentation, found HERE, your graphics chip isn't supported by the Catalyst Mobility driver. You may have to use the Radeon driver.

It looks like some experimentation may be required.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks guys,
    It has something to do with a kernel version. Apparently some of them don't work with this driver.

According to the ATI driver documentation, found HERE, your graphics chip isn't supported by the Catalyst Mobility driver. You may have to use the Radeon driver.
    That's weird as I used the fglrx driver when I had ubuntu on this very laptop. Everything worked fine (compiz, 3d games, etc). The problem is that I did not note down which verision of the kernel/xorg it was.

Has anyone managed to get it going in Slack 12.2?

Linux Guru
    FWIW...

I go thru a *quite* a few laptops on a continual basis - both with nVidia and ATI video chipsets.

Quite often, if I search the vendor site for "laptop video XXX" for a Linux driver, I will get "not supported" or "contact the notebook vendor for drivers."

But if I just download the latest driver for Linux from nVidia/ATI (just search for the newest desktop card to find the driver), it installs and works fine.

I have *never* had this not work on distro's Debian/Ubuntu, openSuSE, Fedora...