Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
check to see if it supported in linux, www.linuxhardware.net some are and some are not! this my little how-to give a try! I hope this will help any one mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

check to see if it supported in linux, www.linuxhardware.net some are and some are not!

this my little how-to give a try!

I hope this will help any one mount their usb flash key device, everything I did as “root”. Some devices will be supported and some are not. You can check on www.linuxhardware.net to see if device supported.

First plug your usb card reader and to make sure your device was detected go to System Tools > Hardware Browser > enter root password and it will display your hardware information then go to > Hard Drives and it should be listed under /dev/sda.

Open your favorite terminal....btw this works in gnome and kde.

[imdeemvp@localhost imdeemvp]$ cd /mnt/ <-as user cd yourself to the mnt folder and become root to create directory
    [imdeemvp@localhost mnt]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost mnt]# mkdir usbflash <- this created a directory in the mnt folder

[root@localhost mnt]# ls /mnt/ <-this command listed all my directories the mnt folder
    cdrom cdrom1 floppy usbflash

[root@localhost mnt]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash <-this is the command to mount flash card reader

[root@localhost mnt]# ls usbflash <-this listed all the info in my usb flash card and this was the output:
    bootex.log dns.bmp games and keys LinuxDocs01.21.04 pc's
    dns2.bmp Documents LinuxDistributions_eBay my pics programs

then i just copied this to my home folder and i was done!

[root@localhost mnt]# umount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash <-this unmounted my usb flash card
    umount: /dev/sda1: not mounted
    [root@localhost mnt]# exit
    [imdeemvp@localhost mnt]$

THIS ALSO WORKED UNDER Mandrake 9.1, 9.2, and 10 official.

Good luck!

Linux Newbie
    thanks, i will try that. and btw, i already looked up if it is supported in linux and i know that it is. ive been able to temp mount it, i.e. use it once and have to remount it every single time i plug it in :-/ ive even been able to save stuff on it, its just annoying, cuz i have to remount it constantly. also, i cant use the same block to mount it on every time unless i shut my computer down and restart it.

well it works, but to the same extent... i dont have to re-mount it every single time do i?

you can add this line to your /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1               /mnt/usbflash            vfat   noauto,user,umask=0 0 0
    i use this line in fedora with no problems....NOTE usbflash is my mount directory

Linux Newbie
    i will try that as soon as i get home form school btw, i have FC2 as well, so i would have trouble believing it wouldnt work, i hope it does.

sweet, thanks a million, that worked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2