Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My mouse was giving me a lot of problems so I opened it up to blow out the dust and the small rubbers around the two geared axles disintegrated. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can a mouse be repaired?

My mouse was giving me a lot of problems so I opened it up to blow out the dust and the small rubbers around the two geared axles disintegrated. My eyes are old so I can not determine if new rubber bads could be placed on them.

So here I am on LF seeking advice from computer experts. I am using the mouse from my old computer that does not have a " scrolling knob " in the center. That is indeed frustrating!!

Suggestions anyone!! Thanks!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

You probably need a new mouse if the rubbers disintegrated. Should only set you back about 15 USD.

PS. It's called a wheel mouse.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'd check newegg.com or chiefvalue.com (it's also a Newegg Store) for a new mouse. They keep some on sale all the time and are about the best I've found for doing computer component business with.
    oz

This old fossil thanks you gentlemen!! A few years go by and computer equipment gets discontinued or not carried by local stores anymore.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    This old fossil thanks you gentlemen!! A few years go by and computer equipment gets discontinued or not carried by local stores anymore.
    You may not find the exact mouse you are looking for but Wheel/Track mice are very common just about every where.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just for info cousin lucky, I pick up a used mouse from goodwill for about 50 cents to a $1.50. Might be worth looking into in NYC. Just for info.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Best Buy, Comp USA, K-mart, Target, and Walmart should all have them, but you'll probably have a better selection and price with NewEgg, or ChiefValue. Of course, being in NY, you can probably pick one up at J&R, as well.

Happy mouse hunting, cousinlucky!
    oz

When I was a child things got repaired. I guess I will never get used to our " Disposable Everything "
    way of living today. I can remember repairing lamps, electrical sockets, toasters, just about everything could be repaired or rigged to work.

It would probably take a large magnifying glass and a lot of intricate labor to replaced the rubbers in my old worn out mouse. I have had very good luck at both J&R and Staples for computer equipment.

It would be nice if I could go somewhere for a refurbished brain and body. Thanks again Gentlemen!!
    Linux user # 414321

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    ...and the small rubbers around the two geared axles disintegrated.
    STOP!
    I will bet you $50 that your mouse is fine. What you are describing as "rubber-bands" are not rubber bands. What you are looking at is years of accumulation of dust, grit and mold from using your mouse. Your mouse ball compresses it over time making that magic rubber delight you've found.

What you've done cousinlucky is clean your mouse. Congratulations

When I worked in LAN and desktop support I became a good friend of a lot of older staff who didn't have their own PCs at home. They used to call the desk and complain that their mouse didn't work, which would lead to a long conversation about ordering one from stationery. When they asked me I showed them how to do this and they all thought they had new mouses/mice/meece/whatever. After that I'd just call down and clean their mice for them every now and again, gave me a chance to take it easy for a while

I'd say if you put your mouse back together it'll be fine. Just make sure you get the rest of the gunk out, having little traces of it will probably be worse. If you do decide to get a new mouse, try an optical one. They don't have balls in them and don't need to be cleaned, at least not as often.

Here's a picture tutorial anyway, enjoy

oz
    forum.guy

what bigtom said...

If that's the case, the question should have been, "Can you clean your mouse?"

Of course, if you have a ball mouse you can follow this illustrated guide to clean it up:

How to Clean Your Mouse: An Illustrated Guide

Note though, that the optical and laser mice out today are much more accurate in use, and they don't have to be cleaned except for occasionally wiping them down and perhaps cleaning off anything that might get stuck over the optical/laser opening.

Edit: oops... I missed the fact that BigTom had already posted a guided help link.
    Last edited by oz; 07-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast