Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to setup a backup system for a friend using rsync and cron to copy certain files to an external hard drive on a daily basis. This machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hard Drive mounting / unmounting

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a backup system for a friend using rsync and cron to copy certain files to an external hard drive on a daily basis. This machine is used basically as a file server and theres no monitor or other peripherals attached to it. The catch is my friend wants to be able to swap the external with another one that is identical. However since he doesn't have peripherals hooked up to the machine he can't unmount the drive and if you just unplug it and plug in the other one the second one doesn't mount automatically. I have fstab set to keep track of the hard drives by volume name and the mount point for both drives is at /media/backup. Is there any way that it can be setup to swap the drives without interaction with the machine? He's using OpenSuse 10.3 if it matters.

Thanks,

-Jordan

You should use SSH to login into that machine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    You should use SSH to login into that machine.
    My friend isn't a linux user. He's not familiar with the commands. Hes only using this machine for a file server. His other computer is a windows machine.

Come on, everybody can issue simple commands, write him/her a couple of scripts if needed. Putty is SSH client for Windows.