Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Sorry Dapper, that really sucks. I would have thought that would fit into the case Can you return it or are all bets off now that it has been opened?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sorry Dapper, that really sucks. I would have thought that would fit into the case

Can you return it or are all bets off now that it has been opened?

oz
    forum.guy

Ouch!

Yeah, Dan, sorry to hear that you ran into trouble. The GTX 260 is about one and one-half inches longer than the 9800 GT, so it causes some grief for lots of users. Many have had to move hard drives, or hack saw some stuff out of the computer case to make them fit, or exchange them for something not quite so long.

The 9800GT (or GTX) would probably work much better for you.
    oz

I have a friend who has experience with these cards and building gaming machines. He said he's going to put one together for me on spec that will accommodate this card. This might be my only solution...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Hope you get the power box you've always wanted and that GTX 260 performs well in it. I'm betting it will.

My GTX 260 fit in the case with about 3/4 of an inch to spare, and I was also fortunate enough to have a spare 6-pin power connector coming off the power supply.

Do let us know how you like it when it's all up and running!
    oz

I can vouch for the 9800GT - like I said in another thread, overclocked ones are cheap as chips nowadays.

Of course, if your sticking with that card, I might be able to suggest doing what my friend does - if it doesn't fit, find another case. Pull out everything and stuff it into a bigger one. Of course, it is risky... He snapped a motherboard once. He forgot to unscrew it totally, lol. He had a spare, so that was lucky.

Hi Tarthen... Yep, that's the route I'll be taking. A friend of mine is really into that sort of thing so he's putting together for me a short list of items to make that transition. It's going to cost around $400.00 for everything, but I should have a really hot game box when it's all finished.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Hi Tarthen... Yep, that's the route I'll be taking. A friend of mine is really into that sort of thing so he's putting together for me a short list of items to make that transition. It's going to cost around $400.00 for everything, but I should have a really hot game box when it's all finished.
    Make sure you get an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. And make sure the motherboard has USB2 front headers!! The USB1.1 on mine gives me endless freezes.

And a SSD is always nice .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2