Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hardware is not one of my strong suits but I know I prefer Nvidia over ATI in Linux. Right now, I'm running an Nvidia 7300 LE. I guess it does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I need a really smokin' Nvidia game card

Hardware is not one of my strong suits but I know I prefer Nvidia over ATI in Linux. Right now, I'm running an Nvidia 7300 LE. I guess it does okay but games run somewhat jerky. Is it possible to find a really hot Nvidia pci express gaming card for under $200.00? Recommendations appreciated.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    The 9800 GT is still considered to be powerful, and the prices have dropped quite a bit. I think the prices jump a good bit if you go higher up the chain than that.
    oz

Just search for benchmarks vs 9800 GT first, in case GTS 250 is a cut underpowered version. (As far as a vga card 4-5 generations after doom 3 can be called underpowered )
    In Greece 9800GT can be found for 100Euros, while GTS 250/GTX 260 with 896MB(!!!) RAM for about 150Euros. The current currency rate is 1.00 EUR =1.42598 USD, but they sell everything overpriced, to us Greek indigenous tribesmen...
    So I guess it would be at most 150USD...
    Last edited by L4Linux; 07-31-2009 at 07:40 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I've been considering the 9800 GT and also the GTX 260 models. The GTX 260s are only a little bit more than the 9800 GTs and from what I've read, a lot of difference in performance. Also from what I can determine, both work with the NVIDIA 3D drivers.

I don't mind paying more for the GTX 260 if I'm going to realise a big boost in performance. Will I be more satisfied with the GTX 260? Or is the difference in performance against the 9800 GT negligible?

Check out the spec on the RAM on the card. I'd look at the RAM speed before the amount, though obviously the amount is important too.

I know this is a European shop, but check this card out. It's a GTS 250 with 1GB of GDDR3 RAM. That's plenty and fast

Komplett.ie - EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB PhysX CUDA

It's 154 here so that should be within budget in the states. Alternatively you could look up the line a bit...

Komplett.ie - EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX CUDA

Komplett.ie - Gainward GeForce GTX 260 1792MB PhysX

That last one might be a bit over budget actually, you know how it's not as simple as just a currency exchange Still, GTX260 with almost 2GB of RAM...I'd say that'd be better than the rest of most PCs!

For the record, I'm running an nVidia 8600GT and I can't keep it busy enough. That's barely a midrange card so I'd say you'd be happy with either the 9800 or the GTS/GTX range.

i'd say just go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and look there, most likely you will get the best deal there

One thing that is concerning me is size. Many of the "cons" written by those who've purchased these cards is how large they are and the difficulties shoehorning them into a mid sized box. Mine is a Dell E520. I've looked inside and it appears there is enough room, but I'll be really disappointed if the card I decide on is too large for my box. I'm leaning toward the GTX 260 but those others you all have shown me are still under consideration. Thanks!

I have noticed that for almost any half-decent card these days you'd need to have the slot next to it free to even consider installing it. Height-wise you should be alright, just keep that other slot free

Okay, I pulled the trigger and ordered this:

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Video Card

Hopefully it won't give me too many fits squeezing it into my Dell E520. We'll see how it goes!

For fun, I also ordered these:

VANTEC Single Port SATA to IDE Converter

Koutech PCI to PCMCIA Controller Card

Like I say, hardware is not one of my strong points, but when I get something new, I love going through the process of getting it working with Linux!

The GTX 260 was a complete wash. How utterly disappointing. The card was so big it wouldn't fit, plus, my power supply didn't have enough connectors to run it and the pci express port was the topmost which wouldn't work since the card expects another pci express slot vacant above it. A $154.00 card, now worthless to me. I guess I'll either try and sell it to someone, or see if I can possibly find a newer machine larger and powerful enough to accommodate this behemoth...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast